What Frequency do you Broadcast radio On?

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Does anyone know how much it costs for a license?

One guy in Adelaide (@xmaslightshow) arranged an ACMA community licence for 1 Watt a few years ago (I think 2012) and I think it cost them $300 odd dollars to apply and then some lower amount of money ($100+) to renew it for up to 3 years, for the period of December 1-31. I can't imagine a larger area would be cheap to licence! Thousands, tens of thousands?? :eek: $_$

:cautious:

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
What ever channel Benslights is on :laugh: then I use my 100 gigawatt FM Transmitter with my 80 meter Antenna that is mounted on top of my megatree.

Jokes aside. I use an RTL SDR (USB Radio Frequency Scanner) to check what RF has the largest gap between frequencies and go there. This way I am not guessing on an Aldi Radio in the garage.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-KHZ...-RTL-Receiver-SDR-RTL-SDR-RTL2832U-R820T2-New

burnt

Full time elf
i like to use the top end at 108.0

update on using 108.0 that I found only one car that could not tune into 108.0 the max for that radio was 107.5
so for 2019, I'll be using 107.5

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I think you'll find across the country it will change on your location. If all the major commercial stations can't be on the same frequency in every state, then that tells you that smaller local stations take up all the frequencies in between.
When I started a few years back my frequency (98.5FM for those playing along at home) was not being used. I notice this year that it's still not, but once you drive away from our house, you can now pickup a very static talkback station.
So I found out in the last week of Dec that my frequency was actually being used by a small community station across the other side of Melbourne, so I'll have to search around for a new frequency. Thankfully any tune to information I have in the display is electronic and part of the sequencing, so can be easily changed (eg not a painted sign etc)

bpratt

Senior elf
Would be nice if there was a way to have a 'standard' frequency that we all could get close to, particulary if we comply with the legal power limits, as that way visitors won't have to 'twiddle the dial' as much if they are doing a tour. :)