What gauge are the pigtails?

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
The specs say the wire is 4x0.75mm² or 5amps, so looking at the wiki tells me it is somewhere between 18-20 awg.

wiresize.png

I would stick with lower capacity figures (20AWG) to be safe.

EDIT: Added image and fixed typo

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I may be wrong but I believe that most of us are probably using the white versions of those pigtails from Ray which are actually a slightly different connector to the black ones.

mborg10

Michael Borg
AAH said:
I may be wrong but I believe that most of us are probably using the white versions of those pigtails from Ray which are actually a slightly different connector to the black ones.
Ray's old ones were 13.5mm for white and 15mm for black but you can now get the 13.5mm in black as well. I have black going into white just fine.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Kaden said:
I read guage and assumed wire size, did I get that wrong? :eek:
No that's correct. Ray also sells bigger plugs. Not sure if the wire size changes though.

I just stick with the 13.5mm pigtails which should be the ones that are worked out above.

battle79

Full time elf
The white 13.5mm pigtails generally only have 0.5sq mm. So only 5AMP before they become a resistor, causing voltage drop(minor) and warm up slightly.

Much better to get the black ones with the 0.75sq mm cable in it.

That said, who knows what the pins in the connectors are rated at.

cheers,
Rowan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If using 12vdc then the white ones will suffice nicely especially if you are using the security cable for your cable.
But due to the higher current requirements of 5VDC then the black plugs would be a better choice and also using a heavier gauge cable than the security cable.