what is everybody plans for 2016

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Aha fing great sense of humour so apparently you want no lighting

Oh nah silly me lightning yes lightning free zone would be good I don't think any of us want that

Madko

Full time elf
Hey guys,

My 2016 plan is to fix up the small issues of 2015
Add 4 pixel spinners (2m diameter)
Add 3 singing faces
Add a Rasberry PI

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
For 2016 Christmas I want

12 P10 panels paneling
11 arches arching
10 new Minitrees
9 more months to prepare
8 more lots of pixels
7 upgraded boxes
6 floodlights repaired
5 rolls of filament
4 thousand lollypops for handouts
3 new songs to sequence
2 jobs to pay for it all
1 happy viewer

and

No more lightning to strike Fings place :)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
lithgowlights said:
For 2016 Christmas I want

12 P10 panels paneling
11 arches arching
10 new Minitrees
9 more months to prepare
8 more lots of pixels
7 upgraded boxes
6 floodlights repaired
5 rolls of filament
4 thousand lollypops for handouts
3 new songs to sequence
2 jobs to pay for it all
1 happy viewer

and

No more lightning to strike Fings place :)

Very clever. I don't know about everyone else but it was impossible not to read that list without singing the song in my head [emoji3]

Goliath

Full time elf
Well, 2015 was my first year with computer control and pixels. I was happy to just make it blink. It was pretty gratifying seeing the people stop and watch for a while, instead of just cruising past. 2016 I want MORE! Blink to music, rather keen on some HDPE (or similar) arches. Like to give the coro candy canes a whirl, and I'm being pushed to make some custom neon flex motifs. Better get cracking.

Habbosrus

Back again
Well, my plans for 2016 involve not moving house, not moving business premises (unless I get a great new job close to home) and not getting injured in the process ;)
I want
More BigW style lights for "fill" (thinking of filling trees with them)
Fix my Santa Please Stop Here sign
Replace pixicles that got water ingress (first time this has happened)
Build a Santa sleigh
Build a prop for people to take photos
Arches??

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Got nothing but compliments from the neighbors, including the new ones.

This is what I have planed to fill in the gaps and continue over from 2016 in order of priority
  • 180 degree tree left side of house
  • 4 pixel globes to hang from each corner
  • Add more dumb RGB to house outline (not just windows)
  • Maybe a singing face or 2 (must be wireframe, would like something a bit smaller than 4 feet)
  • fix or enhance Garage Matrix
Look forward to seeing all of you in chat and on-line throughout the year. Let's keep chat active :eek:

-Blu

kit-808

New elf
To design and build my first light display

Looking at making

Icicles
Arches
and maybe a few singing faces

only starting out small :)

(he says) ;)

#1mate

364 Days building 1 night admiring.
Pi, P10s and arches to beat heat for starters.
And getting the best use of Xlights.

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P
the grinch said:
Ok here we go plans for next year improved driveway arches that dont get floppy in the heat plus xtra arches as they look so cool introducing more smart pixels .lighting the roof again as this is first year ever never done the roof and looks incomplete will probably be outline only as now have solar panels on front roof.. Possibly couple of smaller mega trees as would love to be able to have dancing men text etc thats heaps cool .also in my brain have an idea of lighting features if works will be very cool will be spending a little time in shed fabricating . Keeping a secret for just now but haven't seen anything like this yet and if works will share with everyone early in new year . But need to see if works first dont want to disappoint. But thats next year anything could happen . Hopefully we get there .merry xmas and a happy new year guys.
haha the Grinch thinks this is all we are doing!!! i have a few crazy ideas too, thinking im going to also need an extra projector to have another virtual santa scene in a different window

tooms

12v4life
I want dmx controllable lasers to fill some big trees I have and the driveway. Also going to try and build 4 really big candy canes, also expanding with more power supplies and controllers spread around so i can have full white pixels this year. Im going to replace the square node pixels i used on starburts with 30 pixels per metre strip so it looks more dense, would also like to swap out the square nodes on my mini trees with strip so it looks a bit more uniformed.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Do something for the first time (unless you count 2015's - 4 solar candy canes and 1 solar santa :-\ )
New house in 2015, new neighbours that have reasonable (but not controlled) displays.

Planning on being lazy this first year and buying as much ready-made as possible.

Part 1
General light display, mixed pieces, 4 groups of 4 using the Light-O-Rama (LOR) ShowTime Central (STC) Starter package (16 chan AC Controller): http://www1.lightorama.com/stc-starter-package/

Part 2
Singing Christmas tree faces x 4 http://www.christmascreations.net.au/singing-faces.html
I gather for these I’ll need a 32 channel controller, eg 2 x 16 Channel controllers like the LOR CMB16D-QC DC controller?

If my (limited) research is right, I could connect the two CMB16D-QC DC controllers to the STC Starter box and have either the AC controller doing its thing (using pre-sequenced show) or the DC controllers doing their thing (using pre-sequenced show); or write my own sequences to display the lot?

Part 3
Existing lights as fillers, including rope lights along edge of driveway (seems to be a thing in my neighbourhood).

Any tips or suggestions more than welcome (have read the 101 manual :eek: )

If any of you guys are selling your old stuff, especially lights that run off a 240V AC controller, let me know I might be interested in buying them,

i13

Dedicated elf
OzAz, you might want to ask about your plans in the chat and/or start a thread asking for feedback and suggestions. There is a heap of room to save $$.

You can save on the DC controllers by getting DMX ones locally or from China. There aren't many lights that are compatible with AC controllers because AC controllers struggle with many of the common low voltage plugpacks. If you decide you need an AC controller then start a thread saying you want a cheap second hand one. It's not worth buying an expensive new one for 240V ropelights because ropelights don't last very long. You'd be better with strips because they can be repaired. Be careful and don't step on the strips.

Be aware that you might need the advanced version if you choose to use LOR software with non-LOR controllers.

Depending on how they're wired, you may be able to hack into some of your existing light sets and control them too.

Sorry if this is getting off topic.