What is wrong with this Picture?

TimW

Full time elf
Well, class... what is wrong with this picture?
[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 323

TimW

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
Label needs shifting to the left. (our left)
Not if I want to connect Neutral to the chassis.... Now, was that the blue wire or the brown wire? :eek:
(No class... don't try this at home!)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Is it that the L and N are really on the RHS of the picture and the stickers are young?

TimW

Full time elf
Steve said:
Is it that the L and N are really on the RHS of the picture and the stickers are young?
Hope not... I'd end up connecting 240V across a short cct.
Oooh... sparks and darkness!

David is right... (I hope!!!)

Just wanted to once more highlight the risks of blindly following the labelling on china gear. The QA isn't always there.... and you could make a nasty mistake.

Be careful out there.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
the only reason i wrote that is because thats what my power supply looks like ac on the right, dc on the left

kool-lites

Full time elf
Of course the Chinese factory would argue this is not a Quality issue. the Label is correct nor the terminals are not marked in wrong order, (otherwise you would have complain you don't have a LED screwdriver).
I agree the label could be beter positioned, but to those people who don't use them, nor have any idea what the silver boxes do, they think they have done a good job.

As always if you don't know what you are doing, don't!

BTW. Training illiterate ppl to do complicated tasks using drawings can result in amazing concepts. My parents have worked with illiterate ppl in PNG. they showed what an illistrator thought was a simple drawing with moderate perspective. after a long discussion about the content, it became very evident a main blocker to learning was the class trying to understand how the machine (TV) made the ppl so small compare to a Pineapple sitting on the TV set.

TimW

Full time elf
You're right Steve..I have some of those ones as well...

What made me post this is exactly what you are saying Matt. I have used these supplies before, have a basic understanding of how they work and the conventional way in which the terminals are wired.
I caught myself thinking as I opened this one, why are there 2 teminals for the live feed? It was confusing. Then I peered under the board to see if those terminals aligned to a common track. Obviously they didn't . So I took a step back.. looked more closely at the label and realised what was going on.
So for me, with a bit of experience, problem averted (even though I misinterpreted the positions in the first instance.) But it caused me to wonder, what If I didn't have that experience? I don't call it 'knowing what I am doing' - its just experience and a hard won eye for some potential troubles...
Perhaps you are right - its not unexpected for anyone assembling this that doesn't understand the potential implications of wiring it incorrectly to not pay attention to the line up of the sticker. But its a QA failure nontheless. The assembly has not yet evolved on this product to mistake-proof a fairly important alignment.
Another interesting angle - if the sticker had been placed on the side of the box it would be much less open to misinterpretation. By placing it where I would expect to see aligned terminal markers the manufacturer has inadvertently increased the likelihood that I'll do something silly.
The biggest risk on this type of gear (and a lot of the cheap gear we buy) is that they get it half right... and we assume the rest!

tjmcswain

New elf
so put simply is it just the alignment of the label what was wrong??? given that its 1am please forgive me if this is a stupid question.