what size power supply do i need

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P
hi, this is my first year animating my lights. For now , i will be using the led lights i have used in previous years, they come from Starlight Warehouse and Big W. I have been looking at purchasing a S-350W-12v power supply from Ray Wu to run my mega tree and was just wondering if this is right?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
No idea about the starlight sets, but Big W sets require a 30V power supply. I use a 240W 30V one to run a heap of Big W sets.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Depends on the actual setup of your mega tree. My Megatree is 12 x 5m strips of 12v WS2811 running off a p12s and I use two of Ray's 12v 350w power supplies. As many have said before, Rays power supplies are cheaper than the more expensive Meanwell ones but you do get what you pay for so there is a trade off between quality vs price. My ray wu power supplies have been fine for the last two years but time will tell if they last.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
My 22V Big W's need a 24v Ray Wu supply wound up to max (29V) to get them to light. Remember RMS is 0.7 of peak sinusoidal of whatever your Big W PSU puts out.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I run a 27V and it does my BigW lights fine.
I too bought the 27V version with a view to cranking it up to around 30 - 32 Volts however when I got it it was already cranked up??
I think they just wind up the 24's and sell them as 27's I can only get 29V from mine but it still runs the BigW lights fine.
To be honest theres not many people who would notice the difference in brightness even if you had both lit up side by side

logandc99

Dedicated elf
thecrazylightlady said:
hi, this is my first year animating my lights. For now , i will be using the led lights i have used in previous years, they come from Starlight Warehouse and Big W. I have been looking at purchasing a S-350W-12v power supply from Ray Wu to run my mega tree and was just wondering if this is right?

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question. I didn't realise you were using the Big W lights for your Megatree and thought you were using some 12v LEDs as you mentioned the power supply you were looking at was 12v.
Hence my reply about my 12v ray Wu power supplies as these run 12v LEDs only.
If they are Big W being used for the Megatree then certainly the other replies referring to the use of higher voltage power supplies apply.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The voltage required will depend on the string colour and may even vary due to different LEDs used in various years of manufacture.

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
I run a 27V and it does my BigW lights fine.
I too bought the 27V version with a view to cranking it up to around 30 - 32 Volts however when I got it it was already cranked up??
I think they just wind up the 24's and sell them as 27's I can only get 29V from mine but it still runs the BigW lights fine.
To be honest theres not many people who would notice the difference in brightness even if you had both lit up side by side

Must be a bit of variation in models. I looked at my 27V power supply on the weekend and it cranks up to 31V.