What the maxium lenght for a Smart RGB flexible strip

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
Hi
I'm doing some redesign work to replace rope lights in my display with Flexible smart RGB strip from Rays.

I just wanted to check before l complete the design and submit a order
Is it ok to go up to 6.7 metres long in one strip?
Cheers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It is going to depend on the strip but as they usually come in 5m lengths it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware of the current so you are not overloading outputs.

G

GoofyGuy

As Alan pointed out, this has more to do with power and data source than it would do with the strip. Some controllers can output 4+ universes on a single output. If using the typical 12v led per pixel strips you can mathematically run 13.6 strips end to end! Or 68 meters. This will certainly require power injection in a few places but still capable of being done.

The main factors would be pixel type and controller. As pixel type will limit you on distance to first pixel, not so much on data. Controller will be the driving force if it can drive x amount of pixels. 6.7m isn't that long that would cause alarm. I would suggest power at both ends but that's about it. Buy up, and build!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
From my experience if using 12vdc strip you can get that distance but what is important is that the cable is short that supplies the lights as you cant have much voltage drop at the beginning of the strip. But thats getting towards the max length i would try.

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
Hi guys

Thanks for the advice very much appreciated.
So it sounds like the length of the lead in wire is the area to focus on.
Given the maximum length of the lights will be 6.7 mtrs will l be able to get away with a 7mtr lead in wire?
Or will that cause the voltage to drop to much?
Cheers

Beefer

Apprentice elf
Seeing as the total length (mentioned above) could be quite significant, then no, a 7 metre lead-in should be fine as there aren't pixels along the way 'stealing' power. You just have to make sure it's decent cable to reduce the amount of voltage drop that is inevitable - ie. something like the security cable that's been talked about in other forum discussions.

But again, we're getting very theoretical here and from experience that doesn't always translate into the real world very well - best way to know for sure is to try it :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
At 7 metres leadin cable you will see voltage drop issues on the strip if using 7 metres of strip. Try doubling up the conductors so use 2 cores for +V and 2 cores for Ground, then this should be OK, but always test

dannyp

Full time elf
Do if you use a 6 core cable and triple the cores, then this should provide even more margin for error?