What to do with 2000 pixels

mborg10

Michael Borg
This year I'm replacing the pixels on my 6m tall mega tree, which now means I have 2000 dc12v ws2811 pixels to play with.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1603691720.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail
I don't want to do a matrix with these and I already have a centre piece mega tree. 8 coro candy canes, 8 mini trees, 100 stars, matrix for scrolling text and some balls for my gutters. I just need some ideas. What would you do?

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Seriously though I assume you have done your roof lines. Took 900 Of those pixels to do my roof top. What about Windows or garage door other then that maybe arches or some big fans.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im wondering why your replacing your lights on your tree if they are still Ok to reuse for other purposes.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Fasteddy said:
Im wondering why your replacing your lights on your tree if they are still Ok to reuse for other purposes.

I made my mega tree last year with nylon strapping and 12 mm eyelets. To get the height I wanted I spaced the eyelets at 110mm apart but then I realized pixel spacing is only 100mm doh. So as a last minute rush I mounted the pixels to conduit with electrical tape. Not as neat as I wanted but it did the job. Now the correct pixels with 120mm spacing (just to be safe) are on their way to use with he strapping, I have 50 lengths of 42 pixels electrical taped to conduit. My first thoughts was to join to lengths together and make an arch over the driveway and repeat every 100mm to form a tunnel, but next year I plan to widen my driveway and would have to change the setup

Soooo now I'm thinking just do the tunnel this year and redo it next year or remove the pixels from the conduit and make something else... Oh and 50 lengths of conduit is bulky to store as well.

firebug

Senior elf
gnarmstr said:
Seriously though I assume you have done your roof lines. Took 900 Of those pixels to do my roof top. What about Windows or garage door other then that maybe arches or some big fans.

This^^ Your house outline... :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
firebug said:
gnarmstr said:

This^^ Your house outline... :)

I think they are the wrong pixel for the job. They are the bullet type. I'm thinking I'll do the house outline later but in strip

ecbailey

Full time elf
Arches along your fence? If you had arch shaped metal with the right sized and spaced holes, then the bullet style pixels are a good fit.

Though considering you've already attached it to conduit it would be preferable that the use didn't involve dis attachment. Then again conduit does have some flex to it.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Since you already have some stars I would use some of the lights to make vertical strips of light that go up to the star. Not sure what they are called but there is say 4 strips of parrallel lights rising up to the star at the top. Sort of makes it look like a fireworks going off. I reckon they look excellent. As an example of what I mean Aussiexmas has some on his roof in the 2011 videos.

Bird

LOR user
If you know what width your driveway will end up when finished make your arches/tunnel that size now and you won't have to redo it next year.

loveroflife96

New elf
Since you have taken the time to do the hard part and attaching them to the conduit, why not make a matrix on your lawn? Space them out so they're equal distance and you could do some cool fades or basic graphics on the lawn.....like black out the entire display but light up this matrix...could see some really neat stuff hapenning from it. Just my thoughts FWIW

mborg10

Michael Borg
BundyRoy said:
You have no balls.
After seeing some great balls on here I did some research. Found a place that's makes 500mm acrylic balls. Did a layout and each ball could accommodate maximum 1000 pixels which could be run off 1 P2 and a 350w power supply. I could make 2 and hang them off each side of the carport like giant decorations.

Budget for carport isn't due until next year with the driveway, do I think the tunnel this year and change it too some giant balls next year.