What to do?

vk3heg

Full time elf
So I've got a garden to contend with for my display. It's at my parents place, so there is only so much I can "Trim/Cut down". (I was very surprised when some branches in front of my mega tree got removed)

There are these four trees on the nature strip out front. Circled in first pic, close up of one in second.

Is there such a thing as Netlights in the pixcel WS2811 world?

Question: What would some of you do to make these apart of your display? I have to work around them as it is now, so my layout is spread out.
Third pic is what the whole house looks like (Winter photo & allows me to see the house outline(s)).
Fourth pic is what my layout looks like in xlights.

Attachments

• PXL_20231105_225946240.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231105_225946240.MP.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20231103_013557077.jpg
    PXL_20231103_013557077.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20220808_043332244.jpg
    PXL_20220808_043332244.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 29
  • house-layout.jpg
    house-layout.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Two people come to mind that have put pixels over bushes as a matrix:

In both cases though it looks more like continuous shrubbery compared to yours.

Just a couple of random ideas that come to mind for the separated bushes...

vk3heg

Full time elf
Yeah, mine a not continuous!. I was hoping there was something like a netlight... Was out the front with mum last night and we might mull over a few ideas over the next month or so... I already have ten mini tree's so having four big mini trees might spoil things.

One thing to note is these tree's are close to the road, (About 1-1.5Meters at a guess) so cars will be close.

fugley

Apprentice elf
Id wondered about addressable led nets for another project once, they are about if you have a look altho appear costly ?
this was just a quick google but HERE'S one

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
"Listen to Our Lights" also uses real trees as the base for his megatrees. You might want to look into some of his sequences to see his layout and I think he has a youtube channel.

fugley

Apprentice elf
another one that appears to be coming more popular and should drop in price in time is searching for "Pebble/Seed Matrix Curtain"

Clegg

New elf
another one that appears to be coming more popular and should drop in price in time is searching for "Pebble/Seed Matrix Curtain"
Had a friend buy some Govee Curtain Lights for $139 during the Amazon sales (see Camel Camel Camel to track price) and stuck them on the outside of his house (not a synchronized display - just to put some pictures on it via the app).

I haven't seen any 'mods' for Govee to be compatible with FPP or xLights, but at $139 for a kit to mount (if they go back to that price) - I'd imagine they will be hackable once you know the voltage, configuration and how game you would be to replace the proprietary controller with something custom. I'd also expect a typical WS2811 compatible variant to be available through a vendor somewhere, but I'm not familiar with who would.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Had a friend buy some Govee Curtain Lights for $139 during the Amazon sales (see Camel Camel Camel to track price) and stuck them on the outside of his house (not a synchronized display - just to put some pictures on it via the app).

I haven't seen any 'mods' for Govee to be compatible with FPP or xLights, but at $139 for a kit to mount (if they go back to that price) - I'd imagine they will be hackable once you know the voltage, configuration and how game you would be to replace the proprietary controller with something custom. I'd also expect a typical WS2811 compatible variant to be available through a vendor somewhere, but I'm not familiar with who would.
Most people who run WLED controllers cut the supplied controller off, check the voltage and then use an ESP running WLED, and then you've got WLED's 2d effects, and xlights/sACN/e1.31 control.