What would cause one of Ray's 27 Ch Controllers to SLOWLY fail?

bdeditch

Full time elf
After a great Christmas season and show, yesterday I noticed that one of 4 of the 27 ch controllers was acting up, last one on a set of 4. It started out great and then with in 3 hours the half of the tree, it was controlling, just stopped. I opened the box and noticed light was just flashing, no signal of course. But it slowly lost signal. other 3 work great. Is there something that could just slowly fail on these?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I'd say data cable and connections. I ran 16-18 of these and have not had an issue except for bad connectors on one during testing

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
As the board has a built in test mode I'd flick the function switch on which hopefully will confirm the 2 micros are working. If they are then your lights should be flashing. When you change back to normal mode if you've got no data light happening then you're looking like either there is a fault with the wiring, with your connection to the board or possibly U4 the RS485 receive chip which unfortunately isn't socketed.

bdeditch

Full time elf
I tested and it works in demo. as soon as I turned on computer #3 was blinking but #4 had steady light. will check connection tonight. and Happy New Years to my friends down under.

bdeditch

Full time elf
OK got that fixed. When I set everything up in November, I was hoping to have one cable from the Enttec to computer. I ran out of time and had to use a coupler between computer and first contoller. Well guess what was moist. Just enough to mess things up.