Whats the best RGB's to use for roof?

indyeast83

New elf
For my mega tree last year I used WS2801 pixels but this year I'm looking at replacing all the lights on the roof with RGB's (which are currently traditional green and red light zip tied together). I wouldn't think the pixels would be the best choice as they need to be supported and that would be an additional cost. I'm looking at probably getting about 50 5 meter strips. What does everyone recommend. I really don't want to pay over $20.00 per 5 meter strip. I'm also questioning what controller I would need to control all of these. My mega tree which is 12 strands runs off 1 p12r.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I'd go WS2811 pixels @ $30USD per 5m.

You'll save additional cabling & DMX controller channels if you were to go the dumb RGB route.

Do you really need 250M of RGB strip though? Maybe just RGB flood fill the centre of the roof?

jediknight2

Full time elf
I think whether you go with strips or pixels is a personal taste thing. I prefer pixels over strips for my own reasons. I think they run about 40 dollars a string of 100 spaced at 5" for me. I actually paid the extra 15 bux for the technicolor pixels this time around spaced at 5" just to try them.

WITH THAT, I would HIGHLY suggest you get together your list of what you THINK you need and post it up for someone to comment on. You don't want to have to pay for shipping from China TWICE for something small! Get what you need the FIRST time!

indyeast83

New elf
Thanks you both for your input. If pixels vs strips is just a preference I think I will just probably stick with pixels as they seem easier to figure out how to mount on my roof and its what I used last year.

So I was looking at all the threads on here about the 2801 vs the 2811. I wont be going really long distances with my runs as my house is a tri level and the roof sections are all close together. I was really thinking about going with the same pixels that I had used on my mega tree which were these.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/RGB-full-LED-pixel-module-WS-2801-IC-DC5V-input-50pcs-a-string/701799_521371851.html

I know with the 5v strips I will have to deal with injecting power more. But at $18 it makes it about $900 for the 50 strands I'd like to have to keep the same look as I had last year vs $1500 that I would need to do the 2811's. Is having 2811 really worth the additional $600 in expense?

Bird

LOR user
Personally I like the type that you have the option to add the covers to.
Makes them look a little more like the traditional C9's from yesteryear.
50 strands = 800 feet .. that is one serious set of rooflines. Have fun :)

jediknight2

Full time elf
The C9 covers Ray has will fit those Bird. They have the same rubber seal around the LED as the technicolor ones do, just not as tight. I have the 12V version of those and I used them on my entire roof line and all my peaks.

Beefer

Apprentice elf
If you're going to order stuff from Ray for this Christmas, do it NOW as he's very busy and orders are starting to take longer and longer....

indyeast83

New elf
Beefer said:
If you're going to order stuff from Ray for this Christmas, do it NOW as he's very busy and orders are starting to take longer and longer....
Yeah..Last year I already had my order in by now this year I just cant really decide what exactly I need. I'm hoping to figure it out by the end of this week.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
For the last 3 years I have used RGB modules on my roof which has worked great, they are a good price as well. I mounted them to some plastic strip and then i just hook the plastic strip to the tiles with a bit of wire hook to the tile and strip.