When does everyone start hanging their lights?

DougieB

Full time elf
As last year was my first sequenced display, I set up the first week in November. This gave me 3 weeks to play and test. I will be doing the same this year

diyer

Full time elf
I was wondering when you guys start installing your displays? I saw this old thread and thought that a revival was in order.
I left my setup a bit late last Christmas and was a bit rushed to complete the display without spending afternoons in the hot summer sun when I would rather be relaxing with a coldie.
This year I plan to start mid October getting all the gear out of storage, checking and start installing all the stuff that's under cover and won't get damaged too much by UV light. Hopefully by the last weekend of November it will be ready to switch on.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I start putting lights up about mid November to have it ready to run on December 1st or maybe the weekend before if it's close.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I've often left it til the last week of Nov, but usually have most of it out testing in the mancave in weeks or so prior to this.
This year, I'm planning on doing a Halloween display, so my roof & garage outlines will be up from last week of October.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Ourselves is mid to early September ready for the annual xmas pageant in adelaide this year light up is November 18th and we are pretty much set when haloween hits

Boof63

Senior elf
start 2nd week of novemeber, time to setup and test run before decemeber 1st (or first friday in decemeber (whicj ever works)
cheers Boof63
PS takes 3 weekends to setup and then test /fix problems

videoman3857

Full time elf
Last year we started in First week November and ran out of time. (we're on acreage and our lights are immersive)
This year it will be October, which is a bit frustrating as the lights are going to be out in the Qld Sun longer than I would actually like.
I already have gear out - testing and building new stuff. Doing a major Landscape reno just so we can better place our blinky things.
Yep, it's not a hobby - it's an obsession.

pookie

New elf
Last year was my first year so started at the beginning of November. Had to figure out how to mount some of the props and make up leads. This year will probably do the same as it is always better to have some spare time up your sleeve and can take it easy. Wife may have a fit when I get onto the roof this year, but will see what happens.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Well being my 50th birthday this year I was thinking I might have a few lights ready to go late September. I have already started hanging lights the other week. Boy did I get some funny looks from the postie and garbo lol
Every year I aim to start hanging my lights 2nd week of November. This gives me time to order replacements if needed.

videoman3857

Full time elf
So much to do, so little time.
We're going through a major landscape project at home - and I am the muggins doing it all.
From bobcat operator to retaining wall builder.
My wife says "oh you just do this" and darling, it's the landscaping we wanted when we built the house 17 years ago. Batters eyelids
I said yeah let's do it....... little did she know she fell into my master plan of change as it suits the presentation, layout and future plans of all my blinky things. mmmmmwah ha ha ha
My 2.8 mtr reindeer and sleigh have been put on hold until next year.
Consolidating all my control and power equipment will also wait until next year - at least I know it works they way it is.
Lets just hope I get time to assemble and light up all this corro stuff I just got from TByrne - - time's a ticking .

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
SO you're putting in conduit and piping for cabling for your blinky with this landscaping?!

videoman3857

Full time elf
Conduit in, new power points and controller placement points in,
Will be putting in permanent Spinner location points once I have established the definite locations.
I think I will use PVC pipe with a screw cap and triangulate their locations - or put a marker on the wall to identify their locations.
I was going to put them in small "spotter valve boxes" but the Cheese and Kisses doesn't like the idea of the boxes dotted around the place.
No permanent cable going in though. I prefer to run the cable around the outer perimeters or incorporate them with lights that form a "roped area" and pack it away at the end of season.
Once the retaining wall is complete I have to install drainage pipe away from the wall, under a dirt driveway over to a spoon drain so I will put in
access conduit at the same time. I don't care if I don't use it, but I guarantee I will need it if I don't put it in.

scamper

Dedicated elf
So much to do, so little time.
We're going through a major landscape project at home - and I am the muggins doing it all.
From bobcat operator to retaining wall builder.
My wife says "oh you just do this" and darling, it's the landscaping we wanted when we built the house 17 years ago. Batters eyelids
I said yeah let's do it....... little did she know she fell into my master plan of change as it suits the presentation, layout and future plans of all my blinky things. mmmmmwah ha ha ha
My 2.8 mtr reindeer and sleigh have been put on hold until next year.
Consolidating all my control and power equipment will also wait until next year - at least I know it works they way it is.
Lets just hope I get time to assemble and light up all this corro stuff I just got from TByrne - - time's a ticking .

That is what slowed me down last year. During the winter I was building a train, then when we finally got some good weather, I had to landscape the front yard to have somewhere to put the train, the landscaping pushed well into November, which meant I was late to put up the lights, which left me frustrated and a show that was only ... average... I didn't even have any songs sequenced with the new props I put in and almost gave up. But then the virus spread and I had the whole family sequencing songs, and discovered I had an artist in the family.
I didn't get to finish my train though, so this year.
No landscaping!
Start setting up end of October!
Then try and finish the train!