When to start Xmas lights

i13

Dedicated elf
I'm currently aiming to have everything up and working on December 6th. It is just a time that's likely to work in my situation as I've learned that a month of lights is too long for me.

In 2009 I started my static display just before the start of December and thought it looked a bit sad and finished toward the end because everyone had seen it already. The sun and rain wear things out so I prefer not to have the lights up until there are more viewers.

There's also a family who SERIOUSLY helped make my static display bigger and they are going travelling after the 6th so I don't want them to miss out. It is a Friday so it is also a good day to invite family and friends around for my first ever sequenced lights. On Saturdays that time of the year they often have other invitations.

That's just my plan and reasons why. It is interesting to read other different ones too.

multicast

Senior elf
I'll be putting up my show on the 19th December. Yup.. hopefully it wont' take much more than a few hours.

I've got a bunch of big commerical shows and i'll be away untill then.. But my neighbors are complaining that they dont' get any love any longer..

This year, i'll be running 8000W of High power LED Pixels. ( 40W per pixel ), so about 200 Elements all up.

Skunberg

Full time elf
I start putting stuff up as I'm taking down the Halloween stuff. But I normally take off the week of Thanksgiving and do the bulk of it then. And lights on thanksgiving night.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Also aiming for Sat 30th Nov. But depends on whether I am ready in time as ideally want to have everything up and running before that to do some testing.
Is it just me or does christmas seem to come sooner each year ::)

JPB

Full time elf
We normally have a Christmas Lights turn on party on the Saturday night closest to the 1st of Dec but this year with work commitments and a change to V3 and all new lights and sequences I will be going early and low key.
Jon

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Last year i started late and started the second week of December, the reason being that when you have hundreds of cars coming past every night and you need to manage traffic then this puts on a bit of strain on the neighbourhood. Running the show for only 2 weeks last year was a good decision as all the neighbours felt like it was a more tolerable time and were able to enjoy it a lot more.
This year im not sure if ill get my display up, but the neighbours are all now 100% behind it and demanding i do something.

Habbosrus

Back again
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Last year i started late and started the second week of December, the reason being that when you have hundreds of cars coming past every night and you need to manage traffic then this puts on a bit of strain on the neighbourhood. Running the show for only 2 weeks last year was a good decision as all the neighbours felt like it was a more tolerable time and were able to enjoy it a lot more.
This year im not sure if ill get my display up, but the neighbours are all now 100% behind it and demanding i do something.
I'm with the neighbours. If it's an extra pair of hands you need, just sing out (it's only a few hundred k's). The video of your 2012 show inspired me to make the foray into Xmas lighting.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
What's the deal ED. No display. Have you moved onto to bigger and better avenues. Got anything for sale haha

Things have got away from me this year, but im still doing something which I will reveal in a few weeks

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Things have got away from me this year, but im still doing something which I will reveal in a few weeks

oooohhh, a mystery. Let the speculation begin.

A massive commercial display?

You know none of us are very good with patience eddy, you can't do this to us.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:

oooohhh, a mystery. Let the speculation begin.

A massive commercial display?

You know none of us are very good with patience eddy, you can't do this to us.

maybe its more than one thing ;) :D

MarcD

Full time elf
I think our plan is to get the lights up on the roof over the weekend of Nov 23/24 and then do the ground level stuff and put the sleigh out on the following Saturday (Nov 30) with the big switch on at sunset on Dec 1.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
But Ed what if there is something you don't understand and we have to give you some advice.

Ill refer to the ACL 101 lighting manual ;) :D