Where to get DC power supplies?

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
Hi,
Just asking where everyone gets their power supplies from. Who sells the best quality at an affordable price.
Im thinking of purchasing a variable voltage unit first, to be able to test different strings for their ideal voltage, but then once i find this out, i plan on buying which ever one it is i need, for eg:24v, 30v, 12v.
Any help appreciated.
Luke :D

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi Luke
After initially using a couple of old DC power supplies, a series of resistors and 2 multimeters to test out light strings, last year I bought an inexpensive variable supply with built in voltage and current measurement which has made testing far easier, (0-30V, 0-5A). http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Linear-Adjustable-Variable-DC-Power-Supply-30V-5A-Digital-Power-Supply-PS305D-/360396453994?pt=AU_Components&hash=item53e94d786a While the current measurement in the mA mode only has a resolution of 3-4 mA, I have found this unit to be perfectly adequate for all my light string testing.

For my DC power supplies for the show, I have used 350W units mainly from Asia Engineer http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27V-DC-13A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-/250672020078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5d377a6e These carry a MW logo - I don't know whether they are "MeanWell", but I have had no problems with these units. Cost wise including shipping, they are about the same as Ray Wu's PSUs which from the illustrations carry no logo.

Hope this helps - Geoff

Robbo

Full time elf
aussiexmas said:
After initially using a couple of old DC power supplies, a series of resistors and 2 multimeters to test out light strings, last year I bought an inexpensive variable supply with built in voltage and current measurement which has made testing far easier, (0-30V, 0-5A). http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Linear-Adjustable-Variable-DC-Power-Supply-30V-5A-Digital-Power-Supply-PS305D-/360396453994?pt=AU_Components&hash=item53e94d786a While the current measurement in the mA mode only has a resolution of 3-4 mA, I have found this unit to be perfectly adequate for all my light string testing.

I saw the above item on ebay but found a cheaper but very similar product, although it says $110 as opposed to $99 it has free delivery making it $11 cheaper than the one Geoff purchased, David_AVD bought the 3A version for $90 and says it works well which is really what helped convince me to buy this same product.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATTEN-Adjustable-Variable-Power-Supply-30V-5A-OZ-240V-PLUG-WRT-HIGH-QUALITY-/260865454237?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3cbccaf09d

as for power supplies, I have not invested in any yet but will most likely try the Ray Wu ones

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi Robbo
I went for the slightly dearer supply because it had a button to convert the current display between mA(0-999) and A(0.00-5.00). While the extra resolution only turned out to be to +/-2 mA, I saw this as an advantage over the 10mA resolution of the other unit. The one I bought also has a temperature controlled fan thus eliminating any need to modify fan operation for low power operation.
Geoff

Robbo

Full time elf
aussiexmas said:
Hi Robbo
I went for the slightly dearer supply because it had a button to convert the current display between mA(0-999) and A(0.00-5.00). While the extra resolution only turned out to be to +/-2 mA, I saw this as an advantage over the 10mA resolution of the other unit. The one I bought also has a temperature controlled fan thus eliminating any need to modify fan operation for low power operation.
Geoff

ahhhh yes very good points and therefore worth the extra money spent, as the supply i got has an "ALWAYS" on fan and it is a little on the noisy side :)

Shane

New elf
aussiexmas said:
Hi Robbo
Geoff

Thanks for the Link Geoff,
I was not aware there was a model with the Hi/Low amp switch on the front to change the AmpMeter readout. Just ordered one.
I was the same, power supplies, multi-meters and cables everywhere. Hopefully this will tidy up the workshop a little

Shane
Wilton, NSW