Where to purchase cable?

BBQNinja

New elf
Hi friends,
I see a lot of topics around where to buy the pixels from, but I would like to know if people have found a good place to buy cable. It is expensive so other peoples experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Do you just buy bulk in a single gauge and use it for everything? What gauge do you use? (yes it depends on distance and 12/5V, but just thought it would be good to see if there is a more popular standard or if it is really mixed)

I think for me I am looking for 18AWG 2 and 3 core. lots of 50 or 100m or so.

Cheers.

i13

Dedicated elf
I have placed one order (3 rolls of cable) with https://www.mjselectricalsupplies.com.au/
I ordered at 12:00 PM and the order arrived here in Canberra the following morning.

Shorter lengths are available from Bunnings and some automotive stores. Here's an example that I have used https://www.bunnings.com.au/studio-acoustic-30m-14ga-speaker-cable_p4360363

There's a recent thread about Target's extension cables too https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/13415/
If you're using extension cables, remove the original plugs and sockets from both ends. You don't want to continue using them because it's possible to accidentally plug them into an extension cord that's running 240V. The originals are not waterproof either.

It generally takes a long time but some cables do eventually deteriorate in the sunlight. I remember there being a UV-stable cable at Bunnings but it was more expensive and I was buying cables to go in a sheltered location.

When choosing a cable thickness, you'll often find that voltage drop causes problems before you reach the maximum current that the cable can safely carry. It's possible to calculate (or at least estimate) the voltage drop by adding up the cable length (remembering that current travels in both directions to complete the circuit so you need to double it), multiplying this by the cable's resistance per length to get the total resistance in the cable and then multiplying this by the current in amps. This is Ohm's law and it gives you the total voltage lost; you need to subtract this from the supply voltage to get the remaining voltage. I say this is an estimate because there will be other things like solder joins, connectors and a lower actual current due to the voltage drop itself. Voltage drop will also occur between the lights.

You'll probably end up needing more cable than you expected to need.

Stkilda123

Apprentice elf
I purchased this from Bunnings and it worked just fine, the same as already made up extension leads but without the plugs

BBQNinja

New elf
Just a thought following on from using AC extension cables. Is there any reason to not cut off the plug and socket and just use them as is? Could put a AC GPO outlet on the controller housing to connect it to? (Data instead of earth)
Obviously ensure they don't get mixed up by using a red GPO or something.

Edit: Aldi just had some heavy duty extension leads on sale. My local still had some on Sunday. Twice as heavy as the Bunnings ones.

Last edited:

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Just a thought following on from using AC extension cables. Is there any reason to not cut off the plug and socket and just use them as is? Could put a AC GPO outlet on the controller housing to connect it to? (Data instead of earth)
Obviously ensure they don't get mixed up by using a red GPO or something.

Edit: Aldi just had some heavy duty extension leads on sale. My local still had some on Sunday. Twice as heavy as the Bunnings ones.
Sounds like a terrible way to destroy your equipment in the dark in a hurry, In my opinion a 3 pin mains plug should never carry anything other than the mains it was designed for unless the plugs have both been removed to avoid accidental livening of a cable that was not meant to be livened at 240V.

BBQNinja

New elf
Sounds like a terrible way to destroy your equipment in the dark in a hurry, In my opinion a 3 pin mains plug should never carry anything other than the mains it was designed for unless the plugs have both been removed to avoid accidental livening of a cable that was not meant to be livened at 240V.

Fair call. Thanks. Will take your advise.