Why all the ports on a controller…

TerryK

Retired Elf
If you daisy chain those smart receivers you can get it up to 28 ports maybe 36 if you converted port 1-4 to smart and then hooked up receivers to the serial port.
Firmware updates might have changed things but my understanding is a F4v3 cannot be expanded to more than 12 ports. That is the 4 board ports and the 4 ports on each of the 2 Smart Receivers a F4v3 supports. The Falcon Specification sheet is a bit confusing on this so a question to David (Pitts) may be in order.

KStatefan

New elf
Firmware updates might have changed things but my understanding is a F4v3 cannot be expanded to more than 12 ports. That is the 4 board ports and the 4 ports on each of the 2 Smart Receivers a F4v3 supports. The Falcon Specification sheet is a bit confusing on this so a question to David (Pitts) may be in order.

Firmware change allows smart receivers daisy chained. I think it was v2.55 but mine are on v2.59
1673564458187.png

1673564508376.png

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just remember that the "extra ports" that daisy chaining does not increase the number of pixels you can run on the controller, or on a particular numbered port. i.e If you're going to top out at 680 pixels at 40 fps on Port 1, then Ports 9a, 9b, 9c all share their own allocation of 680 pixels as well.
The smart chaining actually reduces the total number of pixels available due to the protocol overhead. It's primary purpose is to allow remotes closer to props and power distribution.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Just remember that the "extra ports" that daisy chaining does not increase the number of pixels you can run on the controller, or on a particular numbered port. i.e If you're going to top out at 680 pixels at 40 fps on Port 1, then Ports 9a, 9b, 9c all share their own allocation of 680 pixels as well.
The smart chaining actually reduces the total number of pixels available due to the protocol overhead. It's primary purpose is to allow remotes closer to props and power distribution.
I’m actually going to add a differential expansion board onto the F4. I’d also like to connect to PSU’s together to be powered by one cable to the outlet. The 2nd is connected to the first with only the neutral and ground, correct?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I’m actually going to add a differential expansion board onto the F4. I’d also like to connect to PSU’s together to be powered by one cable to the outlet. The 2nd is connected to the first with only the neutral and ground, correct?
If you're using the one incoming mains lead for two power supplies, you would connect all three wires to both. This is essentially how they would connect behind an outlet if you had two leads separately.
Without the Live going into the second power supply (just N and E/G), you would not get any power, it's equivalent to switching off the outlet.

I will always strongly recommend on the mains side - have someone qualified to look it over, and double check everything before connecting power.
Incorrect wiring at best would not work, at mid would damage equipment, or at worst, kill someone.