Why all the ports on a controller…

BrianZ

Full time elf
Option 1: Use the F4 and its PSU to run the icicles. Diff ports from the F4 could go elsewhere. Or just add a controller for things elsewhere. Using the other ports on the F4 may be more trouble than it's worth
Option 2: Put the F4 wherever you want, and use a diff from it to run the icicles. Keeping the F4 ports free for something a bit more balanced in power usage per port, and allowing the F4 to be placed elsewhere.

You might want to split the data on the icicles. 750-800 is more pixels than the F4 will support to run full frame rate. Running a second data connection to the middle of the icicles would fix it, and not take that much more wire.
Thank you. So, along with PI, I should run a separate data injection? Will an F-amp help with this? Can I use just one PSU for this run?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Thank you. So, along with PI, I should run a separate data injection? Will an F-amp help with this? Can I use just one PSU for this run?
Don't think of the F-amp as something that adds capabilities, but one that fixes problems when things don't work right. A "band-aid" for when reality doesn't match the theory. It is for cleaning up the data signal, and it is is difficult to predict when you'll need one, so I'd have one handy just in case.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Sorry, the PSU is a 350w. I’ll be jumping in chat shortly.
Yes, we've calculated out that 350W will be fine if you are running 50%, but that at 100% it will be a matter of temperature and whether you trust the PSUs overload protection.

We were discussing a differential receiver though. That could be configured with a slightly heftier PSU (LRS-450, or LRS-600) if you want to run 100% and don't like being over in the margins.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Yes, we've calculated out that 350W will be fine if you are running 50%, but that at 100% it will be a matter of temperature and whether you trust the PSUs overload protection.

We were discussing a differential receiver though. That could be configured with a slightly heftier PSU (LRS-450, or LRS-600) if you want to run 100% and don't like being over in the margins.
Ok, thank you. I’ll keep it at 50% max I think because they are bright and normally run at 30%. But I’ll look into the heftier PSU’s because I won’t more head room per se just in case.

TerryK

Retired Elf
...robably the most frustrating part about pixels. For example, a F4v3 controller with 4 ports should be able to run approx. 1000 pixels per port, totaling 4000 pixels for this controller, right? But you’re limited to the power supply. So, this controller can run 1000 pixels total at approx. 30% brightness with 1 power supply. And that doesn’t include the power injection. If you want to use the other ports and go beyond 1000 pixels, you’ll need to add a 2 power supply. Or am I missing something here?
A note regarding the Falcon F4v3, while the controller does only have the 4 physical ports it will with expansion support 2 Smart Receivers taking it to 12 ports. And different from its F16/F48 brothers there is no port sharing. So a F4v3 can drive slightly more than 12,000 pixels, at the slower frame rate of course.

BrianZ

Full time elf
A note regarding the Falcon F4v3, while the controller does only have the 4 physical ports it will with expansion support 2 Smart Receivers taking it to 12 ports. And different from its F16/F48 brothers there is no port sharing. So a F4v3 can drive slightly more than 12,000 pixels, at the slower frame rate of course.
Ok, thank you. What does frame rate actually do for the lights? And I can run a long 20-30ft cable with multiple PI points?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Frame Rate is how quickly the display updates. 40 and 20 are typical rates. A 40FPS rate updates quicker of course and gives a bit smoother display for fast display changes.

Cable lengths depend upon wire gauge size; voltage drop. So done properly 30 feet is not a problem. I have some presently at near 40 feet.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Also, can anyone provide a calculator for amps? Which calculates the watts from the PSU, brightness Level and number of pixels.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Whilst the main reason people don't cram each port full is due to lack of power (as extensively discussed) another reason is in particular for a dense prop the ability to do smaller repairs if a port goes down.
EG if you were running a 24 strand megatree but could mange to fit this across 2 ports fully crammed, if one of those ports fails for some reason (lose wire, bad connection etc) then 50% of your tree stops working for the show. Very noticeable by everyone.
But if you split every 2-3 strands per port, you're only down a small section for the night until you can rectify the issue.
Just my 2c.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Whilst the main reason people don't cram each port full is due to lack of power (as extensively discussed) another reason is in particular for a dense prop the ability to do smaller repairs if a port goes down.
EG if you were running a 24 strand megatree but could mange to fit this across 2 ports fully crammed, if one of those ports fails for some reason (lose wire, bad connection etc) then 50% of your tree stops working for the show. Very noticeable by everyone.
But if you split every 2-3 strands per port, you're only down a small section for the night until you can rectify the issue.
Just my 2c.
This is a great point. I’m trying to find the best course of action for running about 750 icicle pixels and I was going to use one port and chain them together so there’s not so many extension cables coming from the ports. Because I have to run them from my garage up to the roof line, then across about 62 ft. So, from Port 1, there will be a 10ft extension cable up to the first string. Then chain all 6-7 together across the roof line, totaling about 750 pixels from one port. But I’ll think about what you said.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Great calculator actually!! Thanks. But I remember there was one that calculated the amount of AMPS used based on pixel count and brightness. But can’t find it now.
I use this: [# pixels] * [type of pixel amp @ 100% white] * [drive level as decimal]

So for your 750 pixels if you are using 5 Volt WS2811 pixels: At 100% White: 750 * .055 * 1.00 = 41.25 Amp (approximately); and at 30%: 750 * .055 * 0.3 = 12.38 Amp (also approximately). Approximately because pixel to pixel their amperage varies a bit and voltage drop down a string causes amperage change as well. The formula as it is will get one in the 'ballpark'.

Something about supplies though that is sometimes overlooked. Wattage rating isn't necessarily a good value to design from. For example: Meanwell's LRS-350-5 supply while called and considered a 350 Watt supply can only deliver 60 Amp on its (DC) output before going into an overload condition. That 60 Amp and 5 Volt calculates to only 300 Watt deliverable. The supply's datasheet shows what's what.