Why no suppoprt from Developer?

CrazyLightLady

New elf
I do commend and appreciate all who have worked so diligently to support this products' end users, but without the developers active input, I honestly can say I'm probably one of it's most annoyed purchasers.

Yup, I have a couple DR4's that are virtually useless. Thank ya'll for the upgrade wiki, (did that, still nothing), and watched everyone's vids so many times I'm sure I'm on some kinda stalker alert list. Sent e-mails to developer, no answer...

Sad, sad,sad...

kane

Dedicated elf
CrazyLightLady said:
I do commend and appreciate all who have worked so diligently to support this products' end users, but without the developers active input, I honestly can say I'm probably one of it's most annoyed purchasers.

Yup, I have a couple DR4's that are virtually useless. Thank ya'll for the upgrade wiki, (did that, still nothing), and watched everyone's vids so many times I'm sure I'm on some kinda stalker alert list. Sent e-mails to developer, no answer...

Sad, sad,sad...
From my experience the level of support provided by Ed is among the best I've ever encountered.

That being said, his products are not really targeted at a non-technical audience, and certainly not priced at a point that he can afford to spend hours supporting every single user with basic setup. This is where the community has come into play - we all benefit from having cost-effective blinky-flashy controllers, and many of us spend our time helping out the newer members of the community with getting things up and running.

The other thing is that at the moment is that Ed is spending a lot of time on producing new firmware versions to support newer chip types (eg 2811), to allow all the people that have purchased lights based on these chips to actually get their displays going. In my opinion, I'd prefer him to spend his time on this, rather than doing basic device setup support.

Have you posted a question on these forums with your queries? Or popped into chat? A Dr4 is a pretty simple device to get going - I'm sure one of us can help out with some steps to try out.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Eds is very busy at the moment working on updating Code, Ed is a one man show so his resources have to be stretched. This is one of the known realities with DIY, You get things cheap but support cant be compared to that of LOR which have many employees and will charge a lot more because support is factored into the cost. this is where the community come in, So if you please do the below for me then we can get started on sorting out your issues. I know it can get very frustrating at times, like the week ive had this week, it feels like ive taken 2 steps backwards.
Ok lets first start by asking what sequencing software you are using
If its LSP then can you provide 3 screen shots
1: The LSP sequencing grid with one of your controllers expanded to see the channel range used
2: The LSP E1.31 hardware app with your univers and channel range setup
3: The ECG-DR4 config page
Between those 3 pictures more times than not 90% of issues can be easily seen and sorted

If its LOR then can someone who uses LOR with E1.31 please step in and ask for what info they may need to assist. More times than not these issues are easy to sort out by other members.

CrazyLightLady

New elf
How many times do I have to say I'm NOT using LOR!! I'm trying to set it up for use in lsp 2.5. I set up unicast in both the dr4 and in the lsp zone. Nothing works. No output other than a rs485 dongle. Those work

Really, LOR has paid techs to sort this stuff out, (I even know one or two of them), why not all the other vendors?

Like I said before, I really appreciate all your hard work, (been there, done that), but really, the documentation in the wiki is solid but there's way too many unanswered questions.

CrazyLightLady

New elf
Do either one of you yahoos even understand how annoyed I am at your egregious dumb down replies?

I'm going to temper this remark, I know you all are just trying to help, but really! Shouldn't the Developers be at least a little involved? I know Ed is working his hiney off, but if Ed's making money and you're providing support, where's your cut?

Same thing with LSP. I'm sure David made bookoo bucks, (at least I hope he did), selling the software to Minleon, they have my license money, why no support?

Time for a DIY reality check?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
CrazyLightLady said:
How many times do I have to say I'm NOT using LOR!! I'm trying to set it up for use in lsp 2.5. I set up unicast in both the dr4 and in the lsp zone. Nothing works. No output other than a rs485 dongle. Those work

Really, LOR has paid techs to sort this stuff out, (I even know one or two of them), why not all the other vendors?

Like I said before, I really appreciate all your hard work, (been there, done that), but really, the documentation in the wiki is solid but there's way too many unanswered questions.

If the other vendors had paid support then it isnt really DIY and the cost would be a lot more expensive.
Its a tough time of year for all of us and frustration can easily take over. I know im going through it now and have the last few years. But its all worth it when we get the show up and running and see all those smiling faces.
But i would like to help you sort this issue out as i have ran 2 DR4s in my display for 2 years so screens shots will be equivalent to a thousand words.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
CrazyLightLady said:
Do either one of you yahoos even understand how annoyed I am at your egregious dumb down replies?
Im sorry if my offer to help offended but the offer is still there :D

kane

Dedicated elf
CrazyLightLady said:
I'm going to ignore the PM you sent, as I'm guessing you are just very frustrated, and are just taking it out on people that are offering their time (for free) to try and help you.

As previously mentioned, if you actually tell us what the issue is, and as Ed mentioned, perhaps post a screenshot, we'll do our best to help you out.

angus40

Senior elf
CrazyLightLady said:

I'm going to temper this remark, I know you all are just trying to help, but really! Shouldn't the Developers be at least a little involved? I know Ed is working his hiney off, but if Ed's making money and you're providing support, where's your cut?

Same thing with LSP. I'm sure David made bookoo bucks, (at least I hope he did), selling the software to Minleon, they have my license money, why no support?

Wow , are you ever ignorant !

The members on this site are the most helpfull and free giving ov their time to do so . Regardless of your whoas they seem to find a way to get the issues resolved.

My hat 's off to Eddy and others for still offering to help out after your run of the mouth .

With your attitude I would have just offered to send you a Quarter so you could call someone who cared.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
CrazyLightLady said:

What the???? You might want to work on those people skills. With your current attitude you may find help a little hard to come by. Sugar and not vinegar remember? ;)

CrazyLightLady

New elf
Yikes, I guess you missed the point.

I was applauding how hard the majority of members here reach out to help each other, my frustration lies in the fact that a couple of the vendors selling their wares here are lack in supporting their paying customers.

I did point out the ONLY way I could updated my Dr4's was from the ACL wiki, sadly the link to the vendor site for set-up is a blank page.

No-one's but the vendors fault, same with LSP. Thanks for the 3 hour vid on LSP 2.5, watched it twice, and just about every vid done, but sadly no response from LSP Crash tickets.

Not your fault again, so maybe someone assumed I was a newbie that needed their hand held and walked through this, sorry I got a little offended. But have been trying to get LSP to work since 06, maybe this is the year?

All in all, I'm hoping I can, with the help of all ya'll get lsp to play nice with e1.31.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
CrazyLightLady said:
I know Ed is working his hiney off, but if Ed's making money and you're providing support, where's your cut?

I know exactly where their cut is. Its is nested right next to the winning lottery ticket the bloke down the road assured me i was buying.

No one on this forum gets kickbacks for the FREE service/advice they give. NO ONE. People in here offer the support because they know the topics and can assist. + its their way to give back to the community.

Why dont the developers reply to your email? Well, as mentioned before, This is the busy part of the season. The developers more often then not, have a display they are making, not to mention the constant bug fixes and updates they are producing from feedback from a multitude of other sources.

J1sys is one man that is producing, coding, repairing and creating a number of different solutions for hundreds / thousands of different users. I can imagine its difficult to reply to all emails for all issues all the time.

LSP is going through a transition period at the moment after its sale, there are people obviously learning the software at Minleon and attempting to offer assistance where they can, however until the original producer of the software returns from his post sale hiatus (not confirmed by the way, more then likely working hard in the background) additional training and support can be given.

Realistically what i am trying to say is. 95% of the time, you will be able to have any issue you are having with componants or software can be answered by the wealth of knowledge and experience inside this forum. HELP US HELP YOU

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Wow im amased Eddy and Kane were only trying to help. like most people here they are always great with there advice. plus it is free so what more could you ask for??

kane

Dedicated elf
CrazyLightLady said:
I was applauding how hard the majority of members here reach out to help each other, my frustration lies in the fact that a couple of the vendors selling their wares here are lack in supporting their paying customers.
On one hand you're "applauding" the help from everyone, but on the other hand you're sending threatening PMs and bagging us for trying to help out.

Jees, I wonder how you treat people that aren't helpful? Perhaps that is why you're not getting a reply from j1sys or LSP?

Unbelievable.

Our offer still stands to help you out if we can, but I'd suggest a little bit more politeness.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ok i think enough has been said now so lets move on to getting her issue sorted out

We all must realize that as the show time date looms closer the more frustration and worry that people may have, especially if they are taking on something new like pixels, new software or using E1.31. So it can be easy to get overwhelmed. I know crazylights is feeling frustrated and as a community all we can do is extend our assiatance and help where we can.

So for anyone that is having issues and feeling frustrated then what helps to resolve the issue is detailed posts on what the issue is with screen shots and even video, try to make it easy for others to help, the more detail and information on the issue the easier it is for people to assist. We may not be able to assist every time but more times than not you will be pointed in the right direction.