Wifi Issues

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have an ADSL modem with wifi. Lately the wifi seems to drop out and I have to reset it to get it back. The modem is still working and connected, just no wifi. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this. Doesn't happen every day but regularly enough to be annoying.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure if it's lights related. I had all the same gear last year and no issue then. For example, it was working yesterday and then not when we got up this morning. I didn't have the lights on last night at all as we were away at a Christmas party. I also think the issue started before the lights got turned on.

In the back of my mind it seems to of started around the time I got back into sequencing. Could the LOR vizualiser and LORUDP splitter do anything to the wifi. I have a dedicated network card for my lights so they are not plugged into the modem circuit.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you have the LOR stuff connected in any way to the same network as the wifi router then it's entirely possible that the LOR control panel via the comm listener is sending out so much data that it could be swamping the wifi. This is particularly noticeable if the control panel is running and no controllers are powered up as I think the comm listener pumps out dmx data to everything that it thinks should be connected and if there's something it can't find it tries even harder to find a route to that device.

ecbailey

Full time elf
I've experienced what Allan is describing regarding LOR 'crashing wifi' when the listener is open and no controls connected.

However if your problem is occuring when your show computer or pi is off then I'd say time for a new piece of network hardware. If you don't have the issues when using ethernet then you could simply get a wireless ap or router and disable dhcp on it. This is what I have setup at home.

damona

Full time elf
If you are using multicast and your main switch does not support https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Group_Management_Protocol IGMP
Then all your multicast packets will go down every connection.

Best to plug the Pi into a switch which supports IGMP, then plug any wireless point into the IGMP switch (assuming your old ADSL router does not support IGMP).

Basically IGMP only sends the multicast packets where they are needed.

IGMP Switch <-> ADSL Router used for DHCP and Wireless Access to Christmas Network (not connected to internet i.e. ADSL unplugged)
IGMP Switch <-> E131 Multicast Falcon Player (e.g. Pi)
IGMP Switch <-> E131 Multicast Lights Controller01
IGMP Switch <-> E131 Multicast Lights Controller02
IGMP Switch <-> IGMP Switch (if you need more connections)