Will this (basic/beginner/noob) setup work?

Not The Mama

New elf
Can I buy 3 of these and one of these and hook it all together (with one of the controllers/adapters) to do a basic randomly flashing rgb strip across my gutters?
And if so.... and I could get board approval.... could I add a few more strips to it (along my roofline)?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Those strips say they draw 6 Amps. The power supply linked to is also rated at 6 Amps. You can only have one of those LED strip per power supply in that case.

Most people here use much higher current power supplies (> 20A) to feed multiple controllers / strips.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
If you buy 3 of each then you can just plug them in and let them go crazy

Not The Mama

New elf
Kaden said:
If you buy 3 of each then you can just plug them in and let them go crazy
I wanted them to all do the same thing though. As they would run across the width of my house.

mborg10

Michael Borg
You will find that the controller can handle about 2000 pixels but you just need the power. Even if you go a bigger power supply you will need to inject power between strips to due voltage drop. If you don't the lights will get duller the further away from the power supply.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
You will find that the controller can handle about 2000 pixels but you just need the power.

Those strips are plain DC, not pixel. I would not run more than one strip off a single controller without using an "RGB amplifier" as Kaden mentions.

mborg10

Michael Borg
David_AVD said:
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
You will find that the controller can handle about 2000 pixels but you just need the power.

Those strips are plain DC, not pixel. I would not run more than one strip off a single controller without using an "RGB amplifier" as Kaden mentions.

Touché and apologies.
I was thinking more like the ws2811 controllers and it's 1000 pixels
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-Key-IR-Remote-Controller-WS2811-WS2812B-200-Change-Max-1000-Pixel-DC5V-72W/1387113456.html
This is what I use for my Christmas tree

penguineer

Full time elf
I've been messing about with something similar - http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,5094.0.html

My idea was to have three separate strings on different "sequences" intermingled to give a twinkly effect, or be able to set all three up the same. Somewhere along the ways I did a bit of screwy math, overloaded one of the dinky power supplies I had. New PSU will be doing the job soon though......

That's by the by........

I'm not sure if this is possible with this particular controller unit, but you may be able to code three seperate controllers to the same keypad.......

So you'd have three strips, connected to seperate controllers and power supplies, and all told "GO" at the same time.......

Just a thought......

Cheers!

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
penguineer said:
I'm not sure if this is possible with this particular controller unit, but you may be able to code three seperate controllers to the same keypad.......

When you use a RGB amplifier the lights does not put load on the controller, they put the load on the amplifier so you can attach as many strings as you like up to the rated maximum of the amplifier, plus you can have as many amplifiers connected to the controller as you like (within reason obviously).

The only caveat (as said by fe in the linked post) is make sure the controller and amplifier match (ie constant current or constant voltage).