Windows 10 is stealing your bandwidth 'by default'

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Hi all,

With everyone upgrading to windows 10,
I just recently found a document saying how Microsoft are now cutting there data Bandwidth costs an passing that onto you the customer.
How may you ask..
- (peer to peer downloading) similar to the way torrents download an seed for others to download off you.
How does this effect you??
- Well most people are charged from there ISP for data uploaded an downloaded. some people might only have like 1gig worth of data a month.
(an Mr Microsoft will use all that in a day for you)

{what did you expect from free software by Microsoft}

well there will be people that would like the link to my source of information
http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-update.html

Now this is how you do it..
To turn this feature OFF, follow these given steps:
  • Go to Settings in the Start menu
  • Search for Update & Security
  • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
  • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
  • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
I left it on but chose to only get updates from Microsoft, and get updates and send updates to "PCs on my local network" versus the default "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet"

Microsoft may steal some of my bandwidth but only for my benefit as opposed to everyone else :)

multicast

Senior elf
These days, who really only has 1GB a month of allowance unless you are on a Sat Phone in the middle of the outback?

smartalec said:
Hi all,

With everyone upgrading to windows 10,
I just recently found a document saying how Microsoft are now cutting there data Bandwidth costs an passing that onto you the customer.
How may you ask..
- (peer to peer downloading) similar to the way torrents download an seed for others to download off you.
How does this effect you??
- Well most people are charged from there ISP for data uploaded an downloaded. some people might only have like 1gig worth of data a month.
(an Mr Microsoft will use all that in a day for you)

{what did you expect from free software by Microsoft}

well there will be people that would like the link to my source of information
http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-update.html

Now this is how you do it..
To turn this feature OFF, follow these given steps:
  • Go to Settings in the Start menu
  • Search for Update & Security
  • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
  • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
  • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
I only have 10 gigs a month for $80. When I downloaded windows 10 it took over 5 gigs of data, upgraded to 20 gigs and over half of that was gone in 2 days. At least for people in the USA who are not the IT business, the cost of smart phones and 10 gig of data is as much as most can afford. Thanks for the info.
John

Habbosrus

Back again
JCMarksafb said:
I only have 10 gigs a month for $80. When I downloaded windows 10 it took over 5 gigs of data, upgraded to 20 gigs and over half of that was gone in 2 days. At least for people in the USA who are not the IT business, the cost of smart phones and 10 gig of data is as much as most can afford. Thanks for the info.
John

Wow! I thought you in the US would be much better off than we here down under. I get unlimited downloads/uploads for only $60/month (Club Telco using the Dodo network). We recently moved and got ADSL connected yesterday. Download speeds aren't great, but they are 3 x what we were getting in our old house (now around 11-12 mbps). I upgraded to Win10 yesterday and set about adjusting my settings this morning. I guess it will be a work in progress making sure I'm not giving away too much info or bandwidth.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Habbosrus said:
JCMarksafb said:
John

Wow! I thought you in the US would be much better off than we here down under. I get unlimited downloads/uploads for only $60/month (Club Telco using the Dodo network). We recently moved and got ADSL connected yesterday. Download speeds aren't great, but they are 3 x what we were getting in our old house (now around 11-12 mbps). I upgraded to Win10 yesterday and set about adjusting my settings this morning. I guess it will be a work in progress making sure I'm not giving away too much info or bandwidth.

I reakon you will find that he lives in an isolated area and may even be on satillite as that would be the only reason he would be paying so much

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Microsoft released this for free which means things like this dont need to be disclosed.
I wonder what other things that are hiding under the bonnet of win 10 as MS would make it woth their while to release this for free and so have a bigger picture.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Fasteddy said:
Microsoft released this for free which means things like this dont need to be disclosed.
I wonder what other things that are hiding under the bonnet of win 10 as MS would make it woth their while to release this for free and so have a bigger picture.

you had to ask eddy..lol
http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-upgrade-installation-settings/ (sharing your wifi to friends without a password)
http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/check-these-5-settings-after-youve-installed-windows-10-1720799226
more on the wifi bit http://thehackernews.com/2015/07/windows-10-wi-fi-sense-explained-actual.html
an for people wishing to tweek there system Yes there is a 'GodMode'
www.techworm.net/2015/08/how-to-access-godmode-hidden-feature-in-windows-10.html

in the end, what do you expect for FREE.. (its not like linux where you know what is going on)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
smartalec said:
Fasteddy said:

you had to ask eddy..lol

bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-upgrade-installation-settings/ (sharing your wifi to friends without a password)
fieldguide.gizmodo.com/check-these-5-settings-after-youve-installed-windows-10-1720799226
more on the wifi bit thehackernews.com/2015/07/windows-10-wi-fi-sense-explained-actual.html

an for people wishing to tweek there system Yes there is a 'GodMode'
www.techworm.net/2015/08/how-to-access-godmode-hidden-feature-in-windows-10.html

in the end, what do you expect for FREE.. (its not like linux where you know what is going on)

None of those links work

scamper

Dedicated elf
What's worse, and this is only my experience so far so I may find a solution
The only internet browser that works properly on windows 10 is their new Microsoft edge.
All the others I have tried are slow pigs, they are slow to load pages and when you type, they tend to just stop!
I am giving it maybe a week and if I cannot find a solution, I think I will be dumping it for sure.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
This is why I never get an OS on first release. Win7 still works for me