Wiring and Layout Plan

cdnbob

New elf
So I'm setting up my first animated display this year. I've run only static lights before on 110V AC. I've put together a basic plan on how I'd like to layout my lights this year and connect them to a controller, and I'd like some other eyes to look it over and warn me of any gotchas I'm not anticipating.

I'll start with somthing pretty basic this year. A string of RGB leds along the roof edge (25m/80ft), a wire frame star on the face of the chimney at the top, a couple of illuminated decorations on the front wall (similar to this LED star: Christmas LED Star ), my wreath updated to RGB pixels, and a strip spiralling up my front lamp post (replacing static rope lights I've used for years). All will be RGB pixels this year.

My plan is to place the controller (P12R) in the garage and run cat5 and 24V DC power to everything, using DC-DC step-down converters to supply power to the elements. I'm planning pairs of cables - cat5 for data/clock/gnd, and 14awg for 24V/gnd. The 24V power could run over cat5 where the current is small enough and distance not too long, but for the most part there'll be a pair running to each element. (The roof line string will have a 24V line running along next to it to inject power at intervals.) I plan to use an FPP to store sequences and play them. I'll use PPX extenders to get the data to the first pixels of the various elements.

I wish to avoid running 110V AC extension cords - they are a pain, given the limited number of outdoor plugs in this house. I think I can manage pairs of low voltage wires much more easily.

It will also be much easier to service the electronic in the garage when it's cold outside.

Okay, that's it for now. What do you think? Please offer any constructive criticism you care to.

Thanks,

Bob

cdnbob

New elf
To be clear, that's not my star. I like it and hope to make one similar but credit for that one goes to the person who made the video.

Bob