Wiring Verification

jediknight2

Full time elf
Just want to verify what I am doing here. These are 12v pixels and I am using an ECG-P2. Here is a photo of the Pback of my pixel.

lights.jpg

In the photo, you can see I have a four wire setup. Black is Postivie, Red is Clock, Green is Data and Blue is Negative :)...THEN it appears they have an additional wire at the beginning and end of every string where a red wire connects to black and the blue to blue.

I have purchased four wire weatherproof connectors and will use those for the Black, Red, Green, Blue wires. I will then use a two wire connector to inject power where needed. I am going to back feed the P2. All of this using a 300W 12v power supply. Sound right?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The reason they have this additional ground wire is because when you link a chain of strings together then you pass the data and clock from one string to the other, now if you were using a second power supply to inject power, then you would use this additional ground wire to then tie the two power supplies ground reference together, so both strips with both power supplies have the same ground potential.

jediknight2

Full time elf
I have drawn out exactly what I plan on doing. Showing connections and an example of how I plan on injecting power if needed. My setup backfeeds power to the ECG-P2 from the first string connection. One question I DO have is at the power injection point. It appears that most people also connect at the end of the line where they inject. So at my injection point I only show connecting power into the beginning of that new string, not injecting back into the end of the other string...should I be injecting backwards as well (as shown with dashed lines)?

setup.jpg

BrianJ

Full time elf
Jedi, if your injection site is done in the same way you have done it between the controller and the first strip then you will be injecting backwards as well:

[SIZE=78%]
jedi1.jpg
[/SIZE]

you may also need injection at the end of your last run. I would try it first but don't be surprised if you need more power there.