working voltage?

drakky

Senior elf
Hi guys
I know everyone(well most) buys their stuff from Ray however i came across some pixel stings on that site which are a little cheaper because you have to buy 1000 at once , what confuses me though in the title they say DC5v yet in the listing it says 12v I questioned them and they say that 12v is the working voltage
what does that mean ? are they 5v or 12v , I'd like to use mainly 12v for anything I buy from now on and seeing as used computer power supplies are virtually free these days it makes sense to go with the 12v option , anyone have any idea what they mean by working voltage ?
thanks

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The "working voltage" is simply what voltage they are meant to be operated on.

Maybe a link to the pixels in question will clear this up.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
they will be 5v. mis-print or typical cut/paste error.
I would also make sure they are the solid resin ones as there may be some of the old soft silicone ones still around.

Great price thou

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im not sure how 40 cents a piece is any better than 34 cents a piece for 2811 but if they are 12vdc then they are not a bad price as Ray has them for 45 cents a piece.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
didnt look at rays price. I was just comparing it to what I paid 2 years ago

drakky

Senior elf
she finally came back with an answer they are definately 5v
after reading Eddy's post on 12v vs 5v I might switch to 5v for the strings anyway the ws2811ic is pretty much the same as the ws2801 isn't it? so Ray's would be cheaper option again