WS2811 Pixel Node for 2018 Interest

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Hi Everyone,

For 2018 I am deciding to use WS2811 Nodes for all of the roof outline of my roof property due to strip degrading in the heat and causing dead pixels.

I was just wondering if anyone else is looking into purchasing a large sum of pixels throughout 2018 for next years display. I would also like to know what everyone uses for mounting and what spacing is recommended to achieve a nice even colour as I plan to do the ridge capping and gutters with this.

I'm currently asking around for bulk quotes but so far Ray's 5v Nodes seem to be the cheapest option which I'm not to fond of and would prefer 12V as I bought 5 PSU's for this years display. I would like everyone's opinion if interested on what type node, cable colour, etc.

Thanks
Derf | Jack

Gian Piero

New elf
Hello Derf, surely in the next year I will have to buy about 900 knots WS2811 at 12V, because like you, I have already taken two 12V 350W power supplies and I would like to continue with this path. I will use the nodes to create the mega tree and two new stars.

Maybe we can ask what price can 'offer, but keep in mind that I am in Italy and you in Australia, this can' make the difference ??

Gian Piero

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Strip is still a good option to use for outlines, but the reason your strip failed is because the type of coating that was used. Using resin coating on one side of the strip with tape on the other end will fail over time in the sun because the coating starts to lift away due to thermal changes over time thus exposing the electronics
Silicone tube is better but still not perfect as this can still allow water to get in from the ends. Solid silicone coating on the front and back is the best option for strip longevity in outdoor environments.

Also just remember even with nodes if you are just focussed on the cheapest price then there may be a reason its cheaper than the rest as it may be a factory second that may give you issues, so be aware not all things are equal.

With 12vdc vs 5vdc there are both pros and cons for each type, if being used for outlines then 12vdc may be the better option due to the length of the runs and minimising voltage drop. More info on 5vdc vs 12vdc can be found here

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm considerng nodes for my roofline next year as this is the 3rd year with strip, and half of it this year needed replacing (too fiddly to replace sections of strip, then re-waterproof it)
I too am looking at 12v nodes given the extra spacing and longer runs, so (in theory) less voltage drop and less PI needed.
Whilst I've only seen it in 5v options, the "PROMOTION!" version of nodes have shorter spacing, and quite thin/minimal wires being used. There's a reason they're cheap :)

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Thanks Eddy,

Your explanation is very end user friendly and I will probably stick with the 12 volt Nodes as I would like to run less power injection wires as the controller will not be located on the roof which will justify the little bit more pricey 12V nodes as the additional cabling will increase. Maybe I will use a mix of 5V nodes and 12V nodes (Using 5V for the megatree I want to build next year and 12v For all the roof outlines) I will continue to use the already purchased 12V WS2811 Resin strip for recessed locations Like windows and garage outlines to keep them out of weather.

I have limited myself for my first show in 2017 and have only used a small location of the house to get the know how on what to do and what issues I could face. I didn't want to go all out in the first year and realise that its December and I can't get all the lights to work. I have added a photo (Poorly drawn) to show you what I limited myself to in 2017 and what I want to add to for next year now I have the basic knowledge.
4ea20d2f454f2cdca4696095b710378c.PNG

Along side this threads purpose (To see who is interested) I like the insight from users that uses nodes to get their opinion on the different nodes Ray offers and to see if there are any other sellers out there that produce a decent node.

Thanks
Jack | Derf

scamper

Dedicated elf
I am looking at doing a roof outline next year and am looking at heading down the module path. This to me seems to be the best of both worlds. It will get better value than strips but sit neater than nodes and they are 12v.
As far as a bulk buy, I don't think you will do much better as once you hit $1000 (someone correct me if I am wrong) you then are charged GST. The tax dept is cracking down on overseas purchases.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I am looking at doing a roof outline next year and am looking at heading down the module path. This to me seems to be the best of both worlds. It will get better value than strips but sit neater than nodes and they are 12v.
As far as a bulk buy, I don't think you will do much better as once you hit $1000 (someone correct me if I am wrong) you then are charged GST. The tax dept is cracking down on overseas purchases.

This is correct, once you hit AU$1000 including shipping costs then you are up for 10% GST, 5% duty (unless you do the free trade agreement paperwork) and the shipping and tax processing fees and secondary shipping to group buy members, This all add to the bottom line, so in the end you may not save that much doing a group buy and really is the reason no one really does group buys on lights from China.
These are some of the reason that buying anything from an Australian Distributor costs so much more than if you sourced it from China directly yourself

Boof63

Senior elf
GST on imports applies only above $1000 AUD at the moment. As of July !st 2018 this changes and all overseas product will ahve to pay GST regardless of value.
How this will be emforced not sure, but if looking to minimise the risk But before june 30th and also ask ray to split invoicing and parcel size (he does this ) so to keep price below the $1k trigger.
Cheers Boof63

Kitman

Full time elf
GST on imports applies only above $1000 AUD at the moment. As of July !st 2018 this changes and all overseas product will ahve to pay GST regardless of value.
How this will be emforced not sure, but if looking to minimise the risk But before june 30th and also ask ray to split invoicing and parcel size (he does this ) so to keep price below the $1k trigger.
Cheers Boof63

Trouble with splitting the shipping is that you can still get slugged as they do have the ability to combine the multiple items into one when it comes through customs. They see that there are 2 or more parcels, these 2 parcels have come from the same place, these parcels are going to the same place therefore they treat it as 1 order and they combine your multiple parcels and bingo over $1000 AUD so you get charged GST.

You can sometimes get away with it but they can combine your multiple parcels, it's better to get a fake invoice included showing the value is less than $1000 aud which is what was done for me by Felix from the other supplier.

darylc

404 darylc not found
You can sometimes get away with it but they can combine your multiple parcels, it's better to get a fake invoice included showing the value is less than $1000 aud which is what was done for me by Felix from the other supplier.

Not sure I would publicly talk about how to execute tax fraud, but maybe that's just me.

Kitman

Full time elf
Not sure I would publicly talk about how to execute tax fraud, but maybe that's just me.
It was so close to the $1000 limit I was concerned on how they would calculate it, if they did the conversion from $US to $AUD when the rate was terrible then it would be more, but if they did it when the rate was high I would be fine.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Getting back to OP questions, a popular method of mounting nodes is drilling through electrical conduit, by setting up a jig to get consistent even spacing all facing the same direction. Then the conduit can be ziptied to the roof using ziptie mounts available for cheap from ebay. That's the route I'm porbably going to go for the future. I currently have strip tied to conduit, tied to the (tiled) roof.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Thanks DJ, for the mounting idea.

I see a lot of people in the states use like a thin rigid strip with pre drilled holes that they simply just push the nodes into the strip (I watched a couple of live streams of a guy with a pneumatic pixel pusher) use this mounting style. It just looks a little bit easier to store as it is 1/4 of the size of conduit yet as flexible and strong.

Regarding the tax I understand the tax threshold and thank you for the information maybe it could be worth it to do a bulk buy and pay the GST if it equates to less shipping costs and the price per pixel is lower than RRP. It's something that it looks like I have to do a bit of research on. Maybe all my neighbours would like Nodes at the same time and would like to donate them all to me?

EDIT: The mounting strip I just found its this stuff
https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index...roducts_id=2&zenid=v3gu6kkpuoses98vsd3bemg4d7

What are the pro's and cons of using this?

Thanks
Derf | Jack

Gian Piero

New elf
Derf, I contacted Boscoyostudio a few days ago to see if they still had the product available, but right now it's over.
I was also evaluating the purchase of this product, because I would like to use it to create my first big tree!