WS2811 strobe pixels from Ray Wu store

justinj

Apprentice elf

dougd

Full time elf
Ordered my Arduino today. How is this project coming along? I cannot wait to put 200 strobes in my display.

I was planning on running 6 strings of 33 strobes or 8 strings of 25. Is this going to be possible with this project? Is the sting going to have to be one continuous string of 200 pixels?

kane

Dedicated elf
dougd said:
I was planning on running 6 strings of 33 strobes or 8 strings of 25. Is this going to be possible with this project? Is the sting going to have to be one continuous string of 200 pixels?

From what Justin has said, he is going to look at multiple strings next. That being said, I can't see how you'd be able to control each of the strings individually from the arduino, unless you go for the USB control method. My guess is that if he gets the multiple strings working, all strings will go on at the same time.. Benefit of this is that if you get a faulty pixel, there's less effect.

justinj

Apprentice elf
dougd said:
Ordered my Arduino today. How is this project coming along? I cannot wait to put 200 strobes in my display.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to drive 6 strings of 33 instead of 1 string of 200? Do you want to control them individually or do you just want some sort of redundancy? I've tested 300 strobes in a single string and it works fine, but if there's a need to run multiple strings I can look at adding in multiple strings.
My initial mention regarding multiple strings was just in case the strings couldn't handle long strings.
V1 code is now available here: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=4890

dougd

Full time elf
I envisioned the controller in the center and my strobes were going to go out in 6 different directions from the controller. One string of 200 pixels will work. I will just have to get creative in how I lay them out in the yard. No problems at all, cant wait to give this a try. Thanks.

justinj

Apprentice elf
dougd said:
I envisioned the controller in the center and my strobes were going to go out in 6 different directions from the controller. One string of 200 pixels will work. I will just have to get creative in how I lay them out in the yard. No problems at all, cant wait to give this a try. Thanks.
Updated revision to support up to 9 strings and relay inputs. Hope that helps.
V1.1 - http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,4890.html

kane

Dedicated elf

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
The new versions are indeed to tight to fit I discovered after ordering 1000 :(

I am going to try and drill out the hole slightly to see if I can make them fit.

Skunberg

Full time elf
The covers that are loose can be fixed by heating with a heat gun and rolling the edge. Someone else did a video on this.

kane

Dedicated elf
Skunberg said:
The covers that are loose can be fixed by heating with a heat gun and rolling the edge. Someone else did a video on this.
Thanks will give this a go when the covers arrive next week. Hopefully it's not too painful a job!

Anyone know if the chip is on the input or output side of the pcb on these strobes?

kane

Dedicated elf
Kane said:
Anyone know if the chip is on the input or output side of the pcb on these strobes?
Answering my own question - chip is on the output side of the PCB.
Wire Colours are as follows:
red +ve
green -ve
blue data

After hooking these up, I agree with other comments - they're not too bright, which is a little disappointing. Wondering whether to even use them, but I might wait until the C9 covers arrive and see how they look with those.