ws2812B Meteors

Vibrantz

New elf
Hi all,

I have a few ideas in my head and wondered if someone could help me out to see if I am on the right lines!

I am looking to use Madrix on E1.31 system with an ECG-P2 to utilise its twin 2040 DMX outputs. I've had a search through the forums for anyone that has asked anything about these:-

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1m-long-WS2812-digital-meteor-light-snowfall-light-DC5V-input-64pcs-WS2812-LED-double-side-32pixel/701799_1142314866.html

At first I assumed they would be 32 pixels downwards and the reverse would mimic with same DMX number, but looking closer it looks like 32 pixels downwards then 32 pixels upwards (like a 2m strip folded in half), can anyone clarify this for me?

if it is 64 pixels, 192 DMX per tube over 2040 DMX channels, that would let me run 10 of these tubes per channel out of the ECG-P2?

it says the output of the tube at the top is 15W, then down the page it says 15.3W per metre? I guess this means it is 15.3W for the whole content output of the tube (as in 2m of 32 pixel strip folded in half?) Assuming this then 10 tubes = 153W at 5V (30.6amps total) per 'string' ( I understand there is no 'through' power on the P2).

Thanks in advance to my first piece of craziness!!!

greg58

Full time elf
Hi Vibrantz,
I have 10 of these, which I bought a couple of weeks ago. I asked a similar question to Ray when I ordered the tubes but have not had an answer.
They are 32 pixels downwards and the reverse is a mimic running downwards as well. When I run the Test pattern, they do follow the same pattern each side.
So the P2 should run what you want, but you will need to look at the power issue. You will need to look at power injection. There are some extremely good articles to help you here on this forum.
I will need to do the same, but have not had a good look at this yet, I will be running through 2 channels on my 12S.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Greg.

kane

Dedicated elf
Weirdly, one of the photos has the arrow on the PCB pointing "up", which would suggest that it is folded over (so an up/down configuration)

Perhaps they can be offered in both configurations - up/down, or down/down. The latter would probably make more sense (half the sequencing, and you wouldn't be able to see both the front and back at the same time anyway)

I'd definitely be checking with Ray if you had a preference.. If it gets confusing, put together a clear drawing of your expectation so that things don't get missed.

Actually, one other thing - I can't make out the sticker with the labels of the wire colours - if there is only 3 wires, then that would suggest that it only has inputs, and therefore you couldn't daisy chain them. If this was the case, then you could only put one meteor per output, so this is something else I would check - you want the "Data Out" to be available from the last pixel in the meteor.

greg58

Full time elf
Kane, Good Point, I didn't look at that.

You're right, it means they will all do the same if connected in parallel, otherwise will have to run an output for each one, which is not really a good option nor what I was planning on.

Greg

Vibrantz

New elf

kane

Dedicated elf
Yes, two cables would certainly look like they'd allow daisy chaining. That being said, you only need 4 wires to do this (12v, gnd, date in, data out)..

Yeah, hard to see by the photos if they are folded or not - might just need to ask Ray for clarification.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Vibrantz said:
No idea what's going on with the crazy cabling but, I think these (having 2 cables in/out) are the versions for daisy chaining?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/360-degree-1-meter-long-WS2812B-digital-meteor-light-DC5V-input-Dj-Disco-Bar-meteor-light/701799_1263402567.html

still can't work out from the pictures if its the 2m 'folded' version though from the pics!

Every picture there shows the arrows pointing away from the top. If it were "down and up", at least one photo would show the "up" arrows surely.

I'd say they are purpose made with the inputs for two sides in parallel. There would be an output from the bottom of one side leading back up to the top for the daisy chain output.

Vibrantz

New elf
Ahhh, yes I see what you mean David & how they are linked back to its controller...hmmm!!!

lots to learn, but strangely enough with just these replies it has made things clearer of what I should be looking for/at, so thanks guys!

greg58

Full time elf
Looks like I should have bought the two cabled ones. This would give better flexibility for the same price. Now I am stuck with one option. I don't think ray had these at the time.
Greg.

greg58

Full time elf
Yeh, thanks mate, I will probably do that, I was hoping not to as I have a heap of other things to make yet. Oh well just another hurdle to jump.

Thanks
Greg