XLights and Falcon - Start channels/Ports - some blank lights

ryanatunlock

New elf
Thanks all. I'm still not 100% convinced it's a power issue - I am running my display at 30% and I have only got about half the props connected at the moment. At any rate I will go ahead and upgrade to the 10AWG/5.3mm2 wire.

I have some other issues where I have daisy-chained props which I will start a new thread for.

TerryK

Retired Elf
A few thoughts some which will reiterate what others have mentioned.

I calculate 1600 pixels full on at 80 Amp but you indicated you have them set at 30% and only approximately 50% of them installed. The 30% should put them somewhere near 24 Amp well withing the range of a single RSP-320-12 supply. The Falcon V1 and V2 connectors are rated at 32 Amp and driven as you anticipate should place about 12 amp or so on each connector. The only half installed pixels drop the total load of 24 further to 12 Amp sortof (6 per connector).

The power supply is rated at 26.6/26.7 Amp and enters overload somewhere between 105% to 135% as Meanwell designed it. That's 28 Amp to 36 Amp give or take. The overload mode for a RSP-320 is "Hiccup" which means somewhere within the 28 to 36 Amp it does not current limit, rather it surrenders completely and shuts down. After a brief moment it will attempt to recover. I can't help but wonder if the Falcon and/or RPi is not crashing but that the supply is going into overload; everything powers down, pauses, and reboots.

That Falcon test button has several sequences. I do not know what the default is but I suspect that when the test button is pressed, most if not all the installed pixels are being turned pretty much full on. For what it's worth, 800 pixels full on will be in the 40 Amp range, a single color somewhere around 13/14 Amp. Somewhere within that mix the amperage is enough to have the Meanwell call it quits.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The test button runs all pixels configured in the string config ramping between 0% and 100%