Yep - another noob

larochford

New elf
Hey folks

Thanks so much for your advice and effort in replying. I know it's late in the season so will invest my time having a bit of a play this year with x-lights as many have recommended this.

I'm keen to get a basic strip of rgb led lights and sequence these (even if just 5 metres) to get a feel for how it all works at the most basic level.

3 key questions

1- would this 5m strip be suitable for a first time play?
http://m.crazysales.com.au/amp/online-5m-rgb-waterproof-epoxy-3528-300-smd-led-strip-light-remote-80767.html

In the description for this it says I will need to buy a 24v transformer separately. Is that the case?

2 - which controller should I buy for a really basic setup?

3 - apart from downloading x-lights and the software side am I missing anything else from a hardware perspective?

If I can use this strip to test and learn, I may then progress to framing up the house and be a bit more adventurous.

As I have heaps of store bought lights, if there is a controller option that I should invest a bit more in to allow me to also use these at a later stage I am happy to consider it.

Thanks again for all your help in getting me started.

i13

Dedicated elf
I suspect that's the wrong type of strip for what I think you want to do. That strip is called a 'dumb' or non-pixel RGB strip. The 3528 LEDs on that particular dumb strip have each colour sepatated so it won't mix the colours. Dumb strips do not have individual control along their length.

Pixel strips give you the individual control but they can't share the same controller as your existing lights. When it comes to pixel controllers, you may as well get a big one to allow for future expansion. Smaller ones are a lot more expensive per pixel. Examples of big ones are the Falcon F16v2 and the PixLite 16 MKII from Advatek. These both have DMX512 outputs which will come in handy for including dumb (non-pixel) controllers for your existing lights. The MKII supports more pixels than the F16v2 but it only supports one chip type on all outputs at the same time.

See my previous post above for controllers for your existing lights. The HD712 controller that I linked to can run dumb strips but not pixels. Strips are not going to be the same voltage as your existing lights so they can't share the same central power supply with them.

larochford

New elf
Thanks i13

Do you have any recommendations for an intelligent rgb strip to get started with?

Sounds like the Falcon F16v2 or PixLite 16 MKIi are the best options to eventually combine my two types of lights.

Do these connect to my mac via Ethernet?

Are both controllers compatible with xlights?

Also will I need to buy a power supply of some sort to power these boards?

Thanks again for your help.

larochford

New elf
Sweet. Any recommendations for the cheapest online store to buy either of these controllers?

I couldn't find either of them on aliexpress.

i13

Dedicated elf
ACL member darylc coordinates group buys for the F16v2. He would be the person to ask. The PixLite 16 MKII is sold by Advatek http://www.advateklights.com/
You will need to choose your first pixels very carefully if you get a PixLite. The entire controller can only output one signal type at a time so all of your pixels must use the same signal type.

The controllers share the same power supply as the light sets. This is true for both pixel and dumb controllers. The pixel controllers connect via Ethernet. Dumb controllers usually have DMX512 signal input. This means the pixel controller will send the required data to the dumb controllers. Both the F16v2 and the PixLite controllers can output DMX512 signal for the dumb controllers to take in.

Different strips suit different applications so I'd need a bit more info to recommend a particular one. For example, a roofline could use the cheap 12V WS2811 strip with 30 LEDs (10 pixels) per metre. This has a low resolution but it isn't as noticeable when you use the strip in long lengths. It also lets you have quite long distances before voltage drop is a problem.
If you want to have a matrix to display pictures, you'll want something with higher resolution and you'll have it in shorter lengths so voltage drop won't be a problem. 5V strip would be a better choice for this.

larochford

New elf
Thanks again i13

To answer your question re: application, I'd look to use the strip for a very basic roof or window lining at first. I'd like to make this flash in time to Christmas music.

Once familiar with the sequencing side My ultimate goal is to create a singing Christmas light quartet of trees or bulbs like this one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZoXZE1D090

If the pixlite is limited to a single output signal, does the falcon f16 allow me to control both my dumb led lights and a new pixel string at the same time?

i13

Dedicated elf
You can get dumb or pixel strips to flash in time with music. Only pixels give you individual control along their length. If it is a roof outline or a large window then I'd recommend this pixel strip https://www.aliexpress.com/item/promotion-5m-DC12V-WS2811-150LEDs-10pixes-m-led-digital-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-IP66-WHITE/32493161338.html

If the window is small then I'd recommend this strip https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-30LEDs-m-DC5V-addressable-WS2812B-led-pixel-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-30pcs-WS2812B-M/701799_32356282826.html

Those singing light globes look as though they are single colour dumb nodes with about 6 dumb channels each plus some wired straight to the power supply. You could do it with pixel nodes and that would add the freedom to run chases around the outside of the globes etc. Another option would be to use dumb RGB nodes around the outside so you can change their colour - dumb RGB nodes don't allow chases though.

Things are not as simple when choosing what voltage nodes to use. 5V would be the best option there because the lights are all close together and voltage drop won't be a problem. 12V nodes are quite wasteful because (unlike in strips) the power resulting from the extra voltage is just converted to heat. You'll need to be very careful if you decide on 12V nodes and make sure you get ones that don't draw more than 30mA each.

The limit of one output signal type is relevant only to the pixel outputs. The PixLite can still output DMX512 while controlling pixels. It just means that (for example) the PixLite can't control WS2811 and WS2801 pixels at the same time because they use a different pixel signal. It can, however, run WS2811 and WS2812B pixels at the same time because these use the same signal. Neither the PixLite or the F16v2 can directly control dumb store-bought lights or dumb strips/strings. They just convert the E1.31 signal to DMX512 so that a separate dumb controller can take in the DMX512 signal.

larochford

New elf
Hey - thanks again for all your help and patience with the newbie questions. I'm going to purchase the following:

(1x) Advatek PixLite 16 Mk II
http://www.advateklights.com/shop/pixlite-pixel-mapping/50-pixlite-16-mkii-control-board.html

(6x) 5 metre pixel strips
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-30LEDs-m-DC5V-addressable-WS2812B-led-pixel-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-30pcs-WS2812B-M/701799_32356282826.html

I want to try and cover all items in one order, rather than have pieces arrive and realise I missed something. A few Q's:

1) What PSU would I need to power the Pixlite 16?

2) Will I need to add additional power to the pixel strips, or will power to the Pixlite be sufficient? If the former, what do you recommend?

3) I notice the Advatek site has plug and play pixlite options - if I'm going to run these pixel strips outside, will I need to also house the Pixlite outside or can I plug it into my iMac and then get some sort of extension to start the pixel strip outside. I don't really want to have pixels flashing in my bedroom all night - that would definitely burn a few much needed brownie points with the wife.

4) Lastly, I feel like I'm going to need some electrical wire to run from the DC PSU, and to have on hand if I need to inject power later on. As a result, should I also buy:
  • electrical wire? (not sure of the proper name, but most photos have the red or black insulation running the wires between their devices)
  • crimps to attach the wires to respective devices?
  • A basic soldering iron (noting I have nil experience here)
  • A multimetre?
If I can get the hang of sequencing quickly, I may look to mount these on the gutters of my roof.

Thanks!