Yet another Mega tree question

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I ended up getting the 50mm x3.2mm x 6.5m Gal pipe and a winch.

This is the topper I had made up, just doing a 180 degree 36 string for now.

IMG_5624.JPG

scamper

Dedicated elf
Looks good. Might I make a suggestion. Add 1 or two hooks/supports for guy wires at the back. You will be surprised at the weight in these pixels and all pulling on one side will eventually bend/bow it, if not make it difficult to put up and down.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Looks good. Might I make a suggestion. Add 1 or two hooks/supports for guy wires at the back. You will be surprised at the weight in these pixels and all pulling on one side will eventually bend/bow it, if not make it difficult to put up and down.

Thanks mate. My plan is to have three guy wires attached to the ring, two towards the back and one at the front.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
From Hughes Fabrication and Welding on Cooney Street Ipswich. Any Welding guy should be able to make one up. I just handed them a very detailed drawing and they built it from that. I also got the wheels from ebay.

ComPeter

Peter
From Hughes Fabrication and Welding on Cooney Street Ipswich. Any Welding guy should be able to make one up. I just handed them a very detailed drawing and they built it from that. I also got the wheels from ebay.
Looks the real deal and plenty of hooks too. I'm looking for ideas on a wind-up pole for next year. I'm getting too old for lifting heavy stuff.

How did you go with concreting in your base?

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Looks the real deal and plenty of hooks too. I'm looking for ideas on a wind-up pole for next year. I'm getting too old for lifting heavy stuff.

How did you go with concreting in your base?

The base was easy, I dug a hole after we had that few days of heavy rain. Did it 800mm deep by 400mm round. Put 100mm of gravel then cemented in 600mm of thick wall PVC pipe with a screw on lid to protect it during the off season. So the top of it was still 100mm below ground allowing soil and grass to be put back on top. You would never know it's there, so as long as I can find the spot I just unscrew the lid and drop in the 6.5m x 50mm galvanised pole.

I should have taken pictures but didn't even think about it. I will be putting it up next week so will see how it goes. I don't think I will have any issues with the topper as I got them to use 12mm solid gal rod for the ring and 8mm rod for the hooks.

videoman3857

Full time elf
I'm getting too old for lifting heavy stuff.
Join the club. I'm going winch next year also.

so as long as I can find the spot
3 ways.
  1. Put a small irrigation "spotter box" over it and just lift the lid when ever you want to put up the tree.
  2. Triangulate the hole from two permanent points .. write down the measurements on the pole with permanent marker
  3. Use a metal detector.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Join the club. I'm going winch next year also.

3 ways.
  1. Put a small irrigation "spotter box" over it and just lift the lid when ever you want to put up the tree.
  2. Triangulate the hole from two permanent points .. write down the measurements on the pole with permanent marker
  3. Use a metal detector.

Thanks. I was planning on doing number 2. Option above not the other number 2 :) As I didnt want anythibg to be visible in the off season.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Good luck with metal detector... He concreted pvc in ground o_O
I have 3 poles concreted in the ground, the fist one was in the lawn and it grows over each year, the next was in a spot that is easy to find as I use it as a flag pole for the rest of the year and the 3rd one is in the driveway and I just cover it over with limestone (limestone car park)
But the first one I haven't used for 3 years, so have no idea where it is :oops: