Yet another Mega tree question

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks guys.

The winch worked really well. I did find even with the 4 wheels on the topper that due to the weight of the lights it forced the front down and would get stuck, however to fix this I just added a rope to the other side of the topper and as I was winching I just pulled on the rope with the other hand to level out the topper, which made it easy to winch.

What I have found is I used the new Pixel mounting strips from boscoyostudio and although they say its 1 inch spacing I found that the spacing varied, although only small, but over each string length ended up being up to 3 inches out so the lights don't perfectly line up. I haven't turned it on yet so not sure how it will look.

I installed the entire mega tree including lifting and dropping in the pole by my self.

ComPeter

Peter
That is good to hear. I want to be able to put up my tree without any help as often is the case being home alone or the wife is busy with something else. Will get some pics of my tree on the weekend and post them here. Hope the spacing isn’t noticeable when you fire up the tree.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I sent an email off to Boscoyo last night regarding the inconsistency of the spacing as it really shouldn't be that bad.

Created to them they have offered to send me the original mounting strips and refund the cost difference or send me a new roll once they fix the issue as there were issues with the machine and they are getting a new machine.

As it is too late for this year I will have to deal with it and hope it's not to bad however I think it will be bad enough for text not to look good, will be testing soon.

So I have asked for a new roll for next year.

ComPeter

Peter
Wise choice Geoff. Will keep an eye out for the new rolls as I have the original stip (reasonably happy with it) but would like to have strip with no spare holes once I have put the pixels in. I think this will give a more professional look and will also make the strip stronger (less holes to stretch).

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Wise choice Geoff. Will keep an eye out for the new rolls as I have the original stip (reasonably happy with it) but would like to have strip with no spare holes once I have put the pixels in. I think this will give a more professional look and will also make the strip stronger (less holes to stretch).

I did think of asking for just the 3 inch spacing but opted for the 1 inch as it meant it was much lighter (less postage), less of a wind sail and more options just in case. The actually quality and strength is really good and should last for many years as they are also thicker then the originals.

As for more professional looking, you can't see it at night and even during the day I think it looks fine.

Cheers

Aaaron Loveday

New elf
?? Guidance on spacing for pixels??
I have 4m high mega tree with a ground radius of 3m. How many strings do I need and how many pixels per string? This mega tree will also be only 1m away from spectators with a 180 degree viewing point. Please see below image. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 21

ComPeter

Peter
What’s the maximum viewing distance?

1m is very close and at that distance you may not be able to distinguish the effects envelop at 1” spacing (which is the smallest spacing you can get on standard strips).

The other considerations are wiring patterns and the number of pixels this tree will have and how that comes together with a controller. Perhaps this is something we can discuss at our next gathering.