The 2012 Adelaide Mini has since concluded. This page remains for reference purposes with links to related wiki articles and USTREAM recorded footage of the mini.
|Saturday, 23rd June 2012|
|8:15 am||Set Up||Doors open for set up|
|All||8:30 am||Meet & Greet||Welcome to the world of Christmas lighting.|
- This time can also be used to set things up ahead of time (controller demo's, show and tell)
|Eric_outback_NT||9:00 am||Blinkyflashy Demo (no specific controller/brand, no rgb)||Introduction to computerised lights (RGB will be later in the day)|
- What you'll need
- cables for data (commonly cat5) and power,
- source of power (e.g. SMPS for DC),
- fm transmitter and/or outdoor speakers so people can hear your show,
- a source of income.
|Wiki: AusChristmasLighting 101|
|deblen||9:20 am||Hardware/Display Showcase||Hardware: A look into LOR-based lighting control systems.|
- General connectivity steps (PC to LOR dongle to controllers daisy chained, no splits)
- Dongle options and purpose
- The more popular controllers - LOR AC(CTB16PC) and LOR DC(CMB16D/QC), etc.
- Mention of cross compatibility of most LOR hardware with DMX systems (wire adapter required) (only if time; marquisite?)
|AussiePhil||9:40 am||PowerPoint (if available),|
Show of hardware options
|Hardware: A look into DMX-based traditional lighting control systems. A general connectivity chart, additional hardware explained (USB dongles, etc).|
- Inc. SM24 (DMX 24ch DC), TDMX120 (DMX 120ch DC)
|10:00 am||Morning Tea/Coffee|
|AussiePhil||10:30 am||Sequence Software Choices|
|Sequencers: Light-O-Rama S3, LightShowPro 2, Vixen 3, LightFactory, Nutcracker, PixelToy, Madrix|
- Basic introduction to each sequencer
- Pros and cons of each choice relative to each other
|marquisite||12:15 pm||Sequence Software Demo|
|Sequencer: Light-O-Rama S3 - The Visualiser|
- A run through of the visualiser, brand new for LOR S3
- How to use the visualiser efficiently (e.g. controller/channels first, then use LOR reference channels)
|Eric_outback_NT||1:30 pm||PowerPoint Presentation|
|Introduction to RGB by FastEddy|
- What is RGB? Colour mixing vs Colour changing
- The differences between 3-channel RGB and intelligent/digital RGB
- The form factors - strips, strings, floods.
|AussiePhil||2:00 pm||PowerPoint Presentation|
|Introduction to E1.31 by FastEddy|
- What is E1.31 and why is it useful for RGB lighting?
|AussiePhil||2:30 pm||Hardware Showcase||A show and tell of the types of RGB lights and/or hardware - the cheaper more DIY form of RGB|
- Hardware - PIXAD8, DR4, TigerPB, etc.
- Another run of a suitable sequencer (LSP2,Vixen3,LF,etc) but this time with focus intelligent RGB lighting control
|3:00 pm||Afternoon Tea/Coffee|
|marquisite||3:30 pm||PowerPoint Presentation|
|FM Radio transmission:|
- The various types of transmitters available (EDM, Vastelec, Wholehouse, etc)
- All about the legalities with ACMA (maximum power, using an empty frequency) and APRA (free narrowcasting licence)
|Wiki: FM Transmitters FM Broadcasting|
|Grant_VK5GR||3:45 pm||Camera Demo||Tips for capturing the best of your Christmas display on video|
|All||4:00 pm||Show & Tell||Show off workshop (display videos, plus live demos if brought along)|