Australian Adelaide Mini
The 2012 Adelaide Mini has since concluded. This page remains for reference purposes with links to related wiki articles and USTREAM recorded footage of the mini.
Dates and Times
When: June 23rd, 2012
Costs: FREE (must register beforehand, method of registration to be announced)
Where: Sunnybrae Function Centre, Tikalara Street, Regency Park SA
Forum discussion: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1080.0.html
The Day's Rough Guide
Plan is subject to change
Time Activity Related Article/Link Saturday, 23rd June 2012
8:15 am Set Up Doors open for set up All 8:30 am Meet & Greet Welcome to the world of Christmas lighting.
- This time can also be used to set things up ahead of time (controller demo's, show and tell)
Eric_outback_NT 9:00 am Blinkyflashy Demo (no specific controller/brand, no rgb) Introduction to computerised lights (RGB will be later in the day)
- What you'll need
- cables for data (commonly cat5) and power,
- source of power (e.g. SMPS for DC),
- fm transmitter and/or outdoor speakers so people can hear your show,
- a source of income.
Wiki: AusChristmasLighting 101 deblen 9:20 am Hardware/Display Showcase Hardware: A look into LOR-based lighting control systems.
- General connectivity steps (PC to LOR dongle to controllers daisy chained, no splits)
- Dongle options and purpose
- The more popular controllers - LOR AC(CTB16PC) and LOR DC(CMB16D/QC), etc.
- Mention of cross compatibility of most LOR hardware with DMX systems (wire adapter required) (only if time; marquisite?)
AussiePhil 9:40 am PowerPoint (if available),
Show of hardware options
Hardware: A look into DMX-based traditional lighting control systems. A general connectivity chart, additional hardware explained (USB dongles, etc).
- Inc. SM24 (DMX 24ch DC), TDMX120 (DMX 120ch DC)
10:00 am Morning Tea/Coffee AussiePhil 10:30 am Sequence Software Choices
Sequencers: Light-O-Rama S3, LightShowPro 2, Vixen 3, LightFactory, Nutcracker, PixelToy, Madrix
- Basic introduction to each sequencer
- Pros and cons of each choice relative to each other
Wiki: Software marquisite 12:15 pm Sequence Software Demo
Sequencer: Light-O-Rama S3 - The Visualiser
- A run through of the visualiser, brand new for LOR S3
- How to use the visualiser efficiently (e.g. controller/channels first, then use LOR reference channels)
12:30 pm LUNCH Eric_outback_NT 1:30 pm PowerPoint Presentation
Introduction to RGB by FastEddy
- What is RGB? Colour mixing vs Colour changing
- The differences between 3-channel RGB and intelligent/digital RGB
- The form factors - strips, strings, floods.
Wiki: RGB_vs_Pixels#DC-Digital AussiePhil 2:00 pm PowerPoint Presentation
Introduction to E1.31 by FastEddy
- What is E1.31 and why is it useful for RGB lighting?
AussiePhil 2:30 pm Hardware Showcase A show and tell of the types of RGB lights and/or hardware - the cheaper more DIY form of RGB
- Hardware - PIXAD8, DR4, TigerPB, etc.
- Another run of a suitable sequencer (LSP2,Vixen3,LF,etc) but this time with focus intelligent RGB lighting control
3:00 pm Afternoon Tea/Coffee marquisite 3:30 pm PowerPoint Presentation
FM Radio transmission:
- The various types of transmitters available (EDM, Vastelec, Wholehouse, etc)
- All about the legalities with ACMA (maximum power, using an empty frequency) and APRA (free narrowcasting licence)
Wiki: FM Transmitters FM Broadcasting Grant_VK5GR 3:45 pm Camera Demo Tips for capturing the best of your Christmas display on video All 4:00 pm Show & Tell Show off workshop (display videos, plus live demos if brought along) 5:00 pm Finish
- RobM +1
- Karob +1
- thieleclan +1
This page has been seen 23 times.