1 string of lights has a mind of its own?!?!

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
Can anyone advise how I should show my spare ports on my F16v3 Controller? Last year I only had a 4 port controller, so I didn’t have any spare ports to warry about.

I’ve currently shown the spare ports in the Port Configuration page of my Controller on Universe-1 with one Null Node (3 channels) per spare port (just to show something). My show now starts on Universe-2, just to keep them separate? Is there a better way of doing this, or is it even necessary?

I’ve tried using the new upload function in xLights, but I just can’t seem to get this working correctly.

Any pointers you could give would really be appreciated.

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/abwxwksjl9ebxio/Photo%2017-12-18%2C%209%2013%2026%20am.jpg?dl=0

That’s how My F16V3 is set up for my couple of props.

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
Hi all,
It’s my second year, and once again the Pixels hate me! :(
As usual, I am having issues with setting up the addressing of my lights and then also to have xLights successfully talk to my controller. However, I will go back to that issue again tonight, but you will probably see some questions (pleas for help) on that issue in a couple of days, if I can’t fix it.

I now have an entirely new issue that I haven’t seen before. This year I’m using a Falcon F16V3 controller with Differential Receiver Boards (to minimise power injection). However, as soon as I power up the system, one string of lights comes on? Even when I run the Test pattern on the F16V3, that one string of lights still does its own thing. I thought it may have been a fault on the Differential Receiver Board, so as I still had a spare card, I swapped if over, but I still have the same issue with the new card.

Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this to occur and what I can do to fix it?

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
I finally worked out why I was having issues with the fourth port on all of my F16V3 Differential Receiver Boards. It is a real TRAP and hopefully, this will stop others encountering this issue in the future.

I was worried about leaving standard Ethernet Cables out in the Weather/Sun, so I ordered some outdoor Cables. These Cables appeared to be just the same as the indoor Blue Cables, but just with a different outer sheath (Yellow)
upload_2019-1-8_12-46-45.png .

(https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30M-Ext...utdoor-RJ45-LOT-/401213408631?var=&hash=item0)

After trying all suggestions I received from the group, I then used a Network Testing Tool on each of the outdoor Ethernet Cables.

upload_2019-1-8_12-46-45.png

This Tool showed that 7 conductors were connected on all of my outdoor cables.

However, from memory, I thought there should have been 8 conductors. I then tested one of my standard blue Ethernet Cables I already had, and sure enough, it showed 8 conductors were connected.

I then replaced the outdoor yellow Ethernet Cables with my old indoor blue Ethernet ones and the issue was gone.

Has anyone come across an issue like this in the past, or have I just ordered the wrong type of Ethernet Cable? If so, could someone please advise a suitable kind of outdoor Ethernet Cable, that I can use this year?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Grab yourself some new connectors and a crimp tool so you can replaced the ends. Hopefully the issue is bad connector crimping and not faulty cable.

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
Grab yourself some new connectors and a crimp tool so you can replaced the ends. Hopefully the issue is bad connector crimping and not faulty cable.
I'm not really confidant with putting on new connectors, but I suppose I have nothing to loose by giving it a go.
So, as I had the same issue with all three cables I'm really suspicious of the cables them selves.