2 Wire pixels work with Advatek Mk2 pixlite16 - led type -QED3310 light strings

i13

Dedicated elf
DMX is a 3-wire signal and those three labels sound correct. We often use Cat5 cables to carry the DMX signal but when doing so, only three of the cores are in use. The Din and Dout are probably connected in parallel to each other. If so then they are electrically equivalent. You could check with a multimeter. It is common practice to daisy chain DMX devices using connections like this. There is a thread here which is for a DMX controller and it includes instructions for how to add RJ45 plugs for the DMX signal. The only difference is that there is only one set of solder pads on this controller but yours has two sets. If you want to copy this exactly, you can choose to either use the Din or the Dout. For simplicity, I would solder one RJ45 plug to the Din and one to the Dout.

I am of course making some assumptions here and I have never seen the DMX device that you're referring to. The problem with using DMX for pixels is that it is limited to 512 channels and these are quickly used up. Setting the start channel is also another unanswered question.

Saman_Deev

New elf
I have dissected the controller box:
IMG_2079.jpg

This controller box runs 400 pixels, and apparently all off of 1 port using the DMX512 protocol according to the folks in China. They suggested connecting this box to this rather dodgy looking controller:

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Do you have an oscilloscope trace of the input data and output data. I expect the signal is in the power and then passes through a capacitor to extract it but I would like to know the voltage variations on the input. Is it differential power or maybe it is just DC but the +ve voltage is modulated.

Once you know that it should be possible to build a simple bridge from a controller which takes power + data and compresses it onto 2 wires which is then decoded by this unit.

Saman_Deev

New elf
Here’s the other side758B22B9-1DC5-406F-8E3F-E3A8054E7521.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AC158E2-50BA-4C8B-AD2A-EB6A86EF6F1E.jpeg
    7AC158E2-50BA-4C8B-AD2A-EB6A86EF6F1E.jpeg
    672.6 KB · Views: 10

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Hmmm... it looks like they could be amplitude modulating the power to the strip with data.

Chip U2 looks like it's an RS485 type so DMX input would seem correct.