2811 pixel to dc board/s

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I will have to check the specs of the input side of the boards but it is possible to run the lights off a higher voltage than what the board runs on. The mosfets used are rated at 80V so the outputs are capable of switching up to that voltage. To keep the cost of the boards down a simple power supply section was used which limits the voltage range that can be used.

richardd

Full time elf
Hi Alan

I have a problem that maybe you can offer some advice on. I set up the 2811DC30 to us on my singing Christmas tree and it uses seven channels on the 2811DC. I have what amounts to one set of Rays IP68 DC12V input 12mm through-hole LED RGB dump node;100pcs a string. The most on one channel is 17 LED. When I run them through a test sequence from the P12S I keep blowing the 10Amp fuse when is white. Surely one string of 100 RGB would not use 10amps Any advice what might be going wrong???

Cheers
Richard

AAH

Can you link to the specific LEDs Richard?
If you use something like DA_E131 to drive the P12 can you identify which specific channel/s cause the issue?

dannyp

Full time elf
Ron Boyd said:
Got my brand new 2811DC30 mounted. Haven't got to test yet. I have a honey-do list to take care of today.

Thanks Alan

Hi, can you tell me where you got the box from?

AAH

The absolute maximum input voltage to the board is 35V (governed by the regulator). I haven't tested at that voltage as I haven't got anything handy that will run that sort of voltage. The higher the power supply voltage the hotter the regulator will run as it will be dropping more volts. The 30 channel board will get the regulator hotter (shouldn't be hot) as it is running close to twice the electronics.

Habbosrus

Back again
I have ordered a 33v power supply from Ray to run my BigW lights off the 2811DC15. I was going to drop the voltage down as low as I could. Should I possibly order a 27v and increase the voltage a little? I'm unsure as to which would be best. 27v + would be better for the board wouldn't it? If the lights aren't quite as bright as they could be, I can live with that. I want to look after the board and make sure I'm not pushing it past it's limits (would rather be well under).

kane

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
I have ordered a 33v power supply from Ray to run my BigW lights off the 2811DC15. I was going to drop the voltage down as low as I could. Should I possibly order a 27v and increase the voltage a little? I'm unsure as to which would be best. 27v + would be better for the board wouldn't it? If the lights aren't quite as bright as they could be, I can live with that. I want to look after the board and make sure I'm not pushing it past it's limits (would rather be well under).

On a slightly related note, the only power supply I've had fail is a 27V supply that I had dialled down to around 24V (I had a couple spare 27V supplies setup after my first year, so I re-purposed one of them to save hooking up a 24V supply)

I wonder whether they don't like being run too far out of the rated voltage?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Kane said:
On a slightly related note, the only power supply I've had fail is a 27V supply that I had dialled down to around 24V (I had a couple spare 27V supplies setup after my first year, so I re-purposed one of them to save hooking up a 24V supply)

I wonder whether they don't like being run too far out of the rated voltage?

Probably just a crappy PSU. :p

AAH

The absolute maximum voltage that you can put in is 35V. I haven't got any 2811DC30 in stock to see if they will run hot with 35V going in or not. Theoretically the regulator is meant to go into thermal shutdown if it gets too hot but that's not something I've ever tried or relied on.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Kane said:
David_AVD said:
Probably just a crappy PSU. :p

haha - thought you might pipe in and say that.

Hard to justify the extra cost for Meanwells... What are the current prices on these, by the way?

I'm away at present, but I think we have some power supplies listed on the AVD web site.

As for my earlier reply, I was more pointing out that adjusting the voltage shouldn't make any difference to the operation of the PSU. It probably would have blown up regardless of the set voltage.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
I'm away at present, but I think we have some power supplies listed on the AVD web site.

As for my earlier reply, I was more pointing out that adjusting the voltage shouldn't make any difference to the operation of the PSU. It probably would have blown up regardless of the set voltage.
The thing is, it ran fine at 27V for the first year, but the second year running at 24V, it lasted less than a week. (this is not continual usage - turned on and then off for showtimes)..

Could be coincidental though!

Wolfie

Full time elf
I know this is an insanely old thread, but...

Can your 2811>DC boards be used to drive relays to control AC? I wasn't sure if the DC out was continuous or had some form of refresh and would vibrate the hell out of a relay.

If they won't, do you know of any boards that "look" like a 2811 pixel but can output 3 DC outputs capable of driving a relay coil? Short of that how about something DMX?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
As long as you don't send values other than zero or 100% you shouldn't have an issue.

You will need a diode across the relay coil though. A 1N4004 (or 1N4007) with the cathode (banded end) towards the V+ terminal will do.