2811 testing with a P12R. Help required!

Madko

Full time elf
Hey all,

This is the first time I have tried testing my 2811 strip with my P12R. I followed the manual for the P12R setup and I think I have it all good but I can't explain why I have this effect (see photo)
I'm running the 30led/m strip and its lighting up the first 11 sections. The last section is lit blue and the first section is flashing from white to yellow.

Can anyone please explain?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 19

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This could be many reasons, but i reakon we need to have as screen capture of your p12r setup and also what software are you using as that can cause the issue
Most times its a setup related issue so a screen capture makes it easy for others to diagnose if your setup is correct first before looking at possible hardware issues.

Madko

Full time elf
Thanks Eddy for your fast reply.
Here are a couple of screen shots which I hope is what you need. I haven't started the software side of things. This is happening as soon as I power up the P12R. I am planning on using the HLS software package

Photos below and thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 8

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I presume your only using the test function

How long is the cable from the controller top the first pixel, you may need to try a lower data speed like 3000. What happens is that in thest mode each output will change from red, green to blue with a bunch of white pixels which match that output number that will scroll across.
Also what voltage and what type of strip is this

Madko

Full time elf
Yes so far I'm only using the test function. However the strip lighting up is happening without dip 4 in test mode.

I'm using 2811 30LED/m 12V strip. The power and date cable from controller to first pixel is 6m.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
In the P12R setup screen below the ip setting you have the test pattern enabled. This is an actual updated P12R so its got some extra functions in the setup screen like being able to set the test pattern through the setup screen as well.

Now with a 6 metre cable i would be more looking at speeds around 2000 to 2800, jump in increments of 200 and see if that works for you

Madko

Full time elf
Changing the speed down to 3000 didn't have any effect. I also took it down to 2000 but that did help either.

I have had both the test enable selected and disabled.

As soon as I power up the controller and loads up the strip lights up as described.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
have you by any chance been connecting and disconnecting with power on.

can you try a different strip (change with power off)

Madko

Full time elf
to answer your question, yes i have had power on and disconnected the strip. In saying this, the problem was already occurring before i unplugged with power on.

I have changed over strips and when i powered up, it didn't light up like before. I then enabled test pattern via the setup page and the same thing happened. The first 11 sections lit up and the last one being blue. I then disabled test pattern but it stayed lit up

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
We need to now look at the wiring to ensure you havent mixed any wiring.

Can you takes some close up pics of your connections including the p12r and the K1 terminal and the strip

Madko

Full time elf
The yellow wire is the CLK wire that I left out as its my understanding it isn't needed for the 2811?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 17

Madko

Full time elf
Not sure if you can see it that well but what I have done is heat shrunk and siliconed ( neural cure) all my connections.
The wiring is as followed

Out of the controller
Red = power
Green = data
Black = GND

Controller cable to pig tail

Red to brown
Black to black
Yellow and green joined to green and blue

Pig tail to strip
Brown to 12v
Black to GND
Green and blue to DIN

Hope you can understand what I have explained

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 14

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would try without the extension.

One thing that caught my eye was the plug and connection that was done in heatshrink and the wires, do they have any heat shrink on the individual wires, its a bit hard to see in the photo

Madko

Full time elf
Sorry Eddy but yes they do. Each individual wire is also clear heat shrunk and then a larger heat shrink filled with silicon over all of them to make water tight.

Ill try without extensions!