3 New 12v 350w Power Supplies from Ray Wu

buzzdude

Full time elf
Just received my order and found whilst labeled as 12v, 2 of the units only output 5V. :'(

I was surprised when my lights were so dim. I first thought I have wired the connections incorrectly, then tried the second PS and the same problem.... how could i wire it wrong twice? :mad: Third PS worked. :D

A mutli meter confirmed 2 output 5V and one 12V.

Waiting on a response from Ray Wu.

Just letting others know, if they come across the same.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Sounds like mislabelled power supplies. You'll need to get replacements as you won't be able to make those ones output 12V.

buzzdude

Full time elf
I've emailed Ray Wu, so I'll see what happens regarding replacement.
Hopefully other don't have the same problem so close to showtime...

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm 99.9% sure that there's no fault with the power supplies you have. They are simply 5V units and not the 12V version indicated by the sticker. So, just a silly mistake made by the manufacturer when applying labels. If the other ones are outputting 12V now, they won't turn into 5V units at any time.

damona

Full time elf
Re: HPM IP56 Garden Power Supply

My first year. I purchased a complete kit from http://www.advateklights.com/ in Australia.
However If I was building by hand with 12 lights, I would use HPM 12v 400w power supply like http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-12v-400w-garden-transformer-_p7070686, and then run a long line of 12V to the control, and then short lines to the lights. Keeping the transformer away from the control stops it from cooking the control board, and more than likely you will not need vents on the control box.

ecbailey

Full time elf
Those HPM transformers are mighty overprices and having it along way from the control board will equal voltage loss unless you use thick cables.

Sounds like to me you have a labeling issue! Better check mine before I plug lights in....don't want to fry anything....

damona

Full time elf
Re: HPM IP56 Garden Power Supply

ecbailey said:
Those HPM transformers are mighty overprices and having it along way from the control board will equal voltage loss unless you use thick cables.
They are water proof for $147 for 400W 12V, so I would expect to pay more. But you need to compare it to a power supply + a water proof box ($$) and then add venting wholes. HPM also produce very thick wire. Much rather DC cables and AC in the garden.
You could even http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-12v-automatic-sunset-timer_p4394271 use this to auto power the controller on when the Sun goes down. Cheers

ecbailey

Full time elf
Ray Wu = $30, plus Masters box = $10 = $40 plus say $10 for a couple of small fans (never needed in my experience). I can get 3 done for one HPM.

Plus with the Ray supplies (or Mean Well) you can adjust the voltage slightly where needed.

buzzdude

Full time elf
It just occurred to me that I have 2 Power supplies I don't need

So... they are incorrectly labeled 12V power supplies, outputting 5V.

In the spirit of the season, anyone who would like them can have them for free... just pay the postage.

Any takers....?

Shane