4/6 Way Fused Power Distributor PCB - EOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
After some discussion about DC fuses in chat earlier today (and on prior days), I designed up a little PCB that has 2 x 30A inputs, four 15A max (can be lower) mini blade fuses and 4 x output terminals.

This board would be used to distribute the DC output of your power supply to multiple controllers. I am thinking of offering these as a complete board with a pack of 5 mini fuses (your choice of single value) for under $20.

The alternatives I've found either used really expensive gold plated fuses, had QC terminals that you'd have to crimp, or looked very dodgy and doubtful on the current ratings.

I did look at doing this as an ACL group buy, but I honestly don't think it would be any cheaper. So, speak up here or PM me with how many your like and we'll see if we can make it happen.

pc731.png

EDIT: The price would depend on how many boards are make. It may be as low as $15 or so. I really don't know yet.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Re: 4 Way Fused Power Distributor PCB - EOI

mrpackethead said:
what is the dc resistance between input and output?

As these have not been built yet, I do now know the answer to your question. I have however done the PCB copper calculations and the 30A per half should be no problem.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)

The DC resistance will probably be mainly the fuses depending on the size of the fuse.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
After some discussions about DC fusing with another member, it was suggested that maybe a 3 input (6 output) version would be better. The reasoning is that the larger (> 150W) switchmode power supplies actually have 3 positive and 3 negative terminals. I'll update the design and get a couple of prototypes done.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator

That is an excellent improvement on the design and a must for those power supplies. I hate blue smoke, nothing good ever comes of it. Well done boys,look forward to seeing it

justinj

Apprentice elf

3 input sounds like a good modification to me!

Not sure if I need one just yet, but something like this with an onboard DC>DC converter would also be nice :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf

OK, here's the 6 way version:

pc731.png

Expected price would be approx $22 including GST, fully built. (no kit available) Please indicate if you are interested in some of these.

kane

Dedicated elf

David_AVD said:
OK, here's the 6 way version:

pc731.png

Expected price would be approx $22 including GST, fully built. (no kit available) Please indicate if you are interested in some of these.
put me down for 4 if they go ahead.
I've actually gone and installed fuse holders on each of my supply leads, so probably won't need them just yet, but good to have the option. don't want things going bang.

Superman

Global moderator

I would like 3-4 as well and would hope that they are still available next year.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Another suggestion just to hand. An LED for each fuse to show when it's blown. ie. The LED comes on when the fuse is blown. Of course if there's nothing connected to an output (or no power available), the LED won't come on even if the fuse is blown. What say ye?

Superman

Global moderator
Yes, that's a easy way to determine where the problem starts, knowing that the problems will always show up at night.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Another suggestion just to hand. An LED for each fuse to show when it's blown. ie. The LED comes on when the fuse is blown. Of course if there's nothing connected to an output (or no power available), the LED won't come on even if the fuse is blown. What say ye?
Very nice addition

Status
Not open for further replies.