A newbe would like to know...how they do that?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
outshinethatstar said:
Hi im new to this lighting up the sky with your house buisness, but love it.. :D .Can you please tell me how they do this (Follow Link) AND how much would it cost AND where do i start?

Thanks

Guys

Nick

Welcome to ACL

Start with the ACL 101 lighting manual, its a good place to start, but there is some learning to be done. The forum and the chat room here are very useful resources to help you on your way.

Welcome to the hobby

Thanks for the lightning responce (no pun intendid)

Are these lights being controlled independantly or.... something elles? what software do you think hes using? it says there are 56k lights how do you controll them?

I have download the PDF and will read it.

Thanks

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
At the two second mark it tells all the hardware and software used.

In reality it was done with lots of $$$ and should be considered closer to a advertisement for the company involved.

Yes a majority of the lights are Pixels all individually controlled.

Phil

Ok, so without selling the kids and wife on ebay (ok ok just the wife then...) i guess this is out of my league.

But i would like to light up the house for my kids and the rest of Highbury.. what Lights do i use?

Im thinking LED and im looking at say 1000 LEDS? would this be too Dull?

Software i think from reading around i will use LOR

How many channels would give me a Good effect?

Thanks

Nick

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Taking the DIY path could make this a project well under 10K, the DIY path requires a lot more learning but is a lot cheaper to get the results.

Start small and then build on it each year, you will find the forums and the chat room here to be valuable resources to help you get started. It may seem overwhelming at first but eventually all the pieces start to come together.

What you need to look at first is what do you already have as lighting and how can you use those to make a show then add on that.

Skunberg

Full time elf
Nick, Do you have any lights now? What kind? Do you have any other display items? You can start small and add on every year. Getting to your goal after a few years depending on time and dollars put into it. LOR is not a bad option to start with for software but it's not the only option and it won't get to the display in the link. Start reading a lot at the forums and viewing other videos and asking questions. You'll start to find the items you want to start with (arches, mini trees, mega tree) develupe a plan for each and the rest will start to fall together.

Brian

Bird

LOR user
Many here have the knowledge to do what is in that video.
Very few (is my guess) will spend that kind on $$$$.

As far as what you want/need to make your display, many factors determine that.
Start up can be expensive. First year display includes cost of software.
Following years usually include cost of additional of lights, additional controllers for the lights and materials to make/build elements for your display.
In the first year you can use your house as the main lighting element with some small yard elements.
It's all about the $$$$ you want or can spend.

For an average display, $1k would do a nice job. Many in this hobby spend that + each year to expand their display. For me, this will be my 3rd year, total is somewhere in the neighborhood of $4k+.

Here is where you will find many displays. Watch them and decide what type of elements and look will fit your situation and budget.

BTW
Welcome.gif

to ACL Nick

After you have had a look around, be sure to ask questions in the forums and the chat room before spending $$$. The answers you will receive are from many friendly people that can save you $$$ and a lot of time.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Bird said:
Many here have the knowledge to do what is in that video.
Very few (is my guess) will spend that kind on $$$$.

As far as what you want/need to make your display, many factors determine that.
Start up can be expensive. First year display includes cost of software.
Following years usually include cost of additional of lights, additional controllers for the lights and materials to make/build elements for your display.
In the first year you can use your house as the main lighting element with some small yard elements.
It's all about the $$$$ you want or can spend.

For an average display, $1k would do a nice job. Many in this hobby spend that + each year to expand their display. For me, this will be my 3rd year, total is somewhere in the neighborhood of $4k+.

Here is where you will find many displays. Watch them and decide what type of elements and look will fit your situation and budget.

BTW
Welcome.gif

to ACL Nick

After you have had a look around, be sure to ask questions in the forums and the chat room before spending $$$. The answers you will receive are from many friendly people that can save you $$$ and a lot of time.

I agree, this display is one of the largest home displays i have seen on video.

15 Stellascapes E16-II controllers
220 StellaGreen Strings
Madrix

I think this is probably around the $25K mark. Dont have current prices for the stellascapes stuff, just a guess

Most people are in the 8-16 strings of RGB, this house had over 200.

Looks interesting, i wonder if they will do it again this year?

Shubb

But mine goes to 11!!
I agree, this display is one of the largest home displays i have seen on video.

15 Stellascapes E16-II controllers
220 StellaGreen Strings
Madrix

I think this is probably around the $25K mark. Dont have current prices for the stellascapes stuff, just a guess

Most people are in the 8-16 strings of RGB, this house had over 200.

I got some pricing on the Stellascapes controllers. The E16-II are $1,200 ea. and the StellaGreen Strings are $140 ea. 220 strings x 85 nodes is only 18,700 LED's so that doesn't even include the other 30,000 the video claims. (54,020 total)
With the cost of Madrix they have to be well over $50k before opening the boxes.

That being said, it was a cool display.

Scott