ACL 5050 Strip assembly advise?

Skunberg

Full time elf
I tried to go back to the original thread for advise or tips on soldering these, but I didn't find anything.
So I thought I'd ask. Do we just hand solder these or use paste? Are they easily damaged? Ect.?

Brian

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I found the hot air method to be so simple, just apply some paste with a toothpic so you ensure you get good coverage but ensures you dont apply too much paste, then use a hot air gun at 360 degrees C, preheat the panel and parts before moving in close to finish the job off and make the paste flow. After the first couple of strobes i did that turned out crap, i then started using this method and had 100% success rate with no shorts. One thing to ensure whan using a hot air gun is that you can control the airflow so you dont blow the parts off the panel before it solders on.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Just to clarify so bad things don't happen. When Eddy is talking about a hot air gun he's talking about something like http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2in1-Hot-Air-Gun-Digital-Solder-Rework-Station-SMD-OZ-/350409771145?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item51960cc889 not a heatshrink or paint removal hot air gun. I used to hand solder every smd component that I used and I use lots but now I use paste and a hot air gun almost exclusively. I use an 18 gauge needle to dispense with and i've shortened it down to only about 5mm as the paste can be a bit hard to squeeze through. Ideally a thinner needle or a proper dispensing needle would do a better job at applying a fine bead but with persistence and care the needle will do. I found the size of the dispensing needle that comes with the strobe and I assume the 5050 kits to be too large and the bead that you lay down gives you too much solder.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/534188178-TT-tapered-needle-Smoothflow-Tapered-Tips-wholesalers.html

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AAH said:
Just to clarify so bad things don't happen. When Eddy is talking about a hot air gun he's talking about something like http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2in1-Hot-Air-Gun-Digital-Solder-Rework-Station-SMD-OZ-/350409771145?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item51960cc889 not a heatshrink or paint removal hot air gun. I used to hand solder every smd component that I used and I use lots but now I use paste and a hot air gun almost exclusively. I use an 18 gauge needle to dispense with and i've shortened it down to only about 5mm as the paste can be a bit hard to squeeze through. Ideally a thinner needle or a proper dispensing needle would do a better job at applying a fine bead but with persistence and care the needle will do. I found the size of the dispensing needle that comes with the strobe and I assume the 5050 kits to be too large and the bead that you lay down gives you too much solder.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/534188178-TT-tapered-needle-Smoothflow-Tapered-Tips-wholesalers.html

The great thing is it backs up as a heatshrink gun as well, well worth the money in my opinion. Once you start using a hot air gun you will wonder why you didnt use one before

Skunberg

Full time elf
Eddy do you use your hot air without a tip? 3/4 inch end size about. Or a tip of what size? (approx).

Brian

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Skunberg said:
Eddy do you use your hot air without a tip? 3/4 inch end size about. Or a tip of what size? (approx).

Brian

Im not sure what the size is of the air gun tip is but i use the size that was the middle size of what came with the air gun. That was last year. This year i doubt i will actually even use a tip on the airgun as what is really important is that you dont use too much air pressure so that the parts get moved with the air.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I do mine exactly the same as Eddy, This is the first time I've ever done SMD and so far haven't cocked up any (touch wood)
I've found it a lot easier than I thought it would be, but as Alan says you have to get the amount of paste right.
Best thing I ever bought was the rework station.

And Ed I use an 8mm nozzle with mine I find you can control where the heat goes a bit better, especially if you have to go over old ground and you don't want to upset any other parts already in place.

Skunberg

Full time elf
Just got my strips yesterday. Those 5050s are smaller than I was exspecting. So they must not be too heat sensitive. (thanks Matt)