Adding a second controller to HLS

Madko

Full time elf
Hey Guys,

I just added a second controller to my layout (P12S). Having a quick look last night I could add channels to this new controller as I'm unsure what/how to set as the universe number. If I set it to universe 1 then it would conflict with the other universe 1.

I'm sure it's a simple process but how to I differentiate between universes of different controllers when setting up Raw Channels?

angus40

Senior elf
example of controller configuration for two p12
controller #1 >>>> universe 1 to 12
controller #2>>>> universes 13 to 24
hls raw channel config
universe 1 >>>> 170 pixels (rgb channels) for a max of 510 channels
"2" as above
"3" as above
there is no mystery to hls raw channels it is this simple
add channels - assign universes to them as you see fit for your sequencing and realative to your display elements
as to which controller you will connect them to .
I believe that hls has added support for unicast if you config your controllers all to start @ universe 1
you would need to assign a unique ip to each controller , this i have not tested yet .

I guess i will be hauling out me 2 e682's to play with.

Madko

Full time elf
Sounds good. Thanks again.
Very straight forward and easy! (When you know how...ha ha)
Cheers

Madko

Full time elf
Just another thought.
If I have a P12R and a P12S in my display. If I set universes 1-24 in Raw channels, how does HLS know that universes 1-12 is on the P12R and not on the P12S?
Cheers

angus40

Senior elf
by the unicast ip you assign to the output or by universe # if using multicast

Madko

Full time elf
No dramas. Do you have a link that explains unicast and muilticast? I'm a little unsure what this means!
Cheers

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Simple explanation:

Unicast sends data to a specific device (controller) on a specified IP address. Only the specified device sees the data.

Multicast sends the data out to every device. Only those that want the data use it.

Multicast can be easier to set up, but does lead to more network traffic on segments that don't need/want it.

angus40

Senior elf
You need to decide what your going to use unicast or multicast .

if you chose multi cast the universe #s that you define on your controllers will corospond to the universe #s that you assigned in Manage raw channels within Hls .

If you chose to use unicast when you assign the transport protocol etc in hls output the unicast ip the you define will be directly related to the universes going to that ip and this ip should be the unique ip that you designated to that specific controller !

I hope this is clear .

Madko

Full time elf
Thanks for that. When i went into the compile outputs and setup, i noticed an extra section about unicast. So i set the IP address there. I havent tested it but hopefully shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks again