Anyone got any of Ray's 4-core connectors (with brown,black,blue & red wires?)

kane

Dedicated elf

Attachments

• 4-Core.jpg
    4-Core.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 222

kane

Dedicated elf
Thanks fellas

My problem is that Ray has given me the following pin outs for some 2801 strip, with 4-core connectors already connected to it (and the connections all heat shrinked so I can't see what colours are connected where)
brown: DC12V+ black: DC12V- BLUE: DATE RED: Signal​

But the 4-core connectors I have are the same as yours, with green instead of brown. I was going to just try hooking it up, swapping green for brown, but I've blown up pixels before with incorrect connection, and using Green for 12V+ really does not make sense to me!

I didn't want to have to hack apart one of the strips to trace it back, but I think I'll have to.

Cheers

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You can never assume anything with wire colours, especially with Chinese gear. Cutting one open and seeing what they really are is the only safe option.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
damaging the heatsink / coating for 1 x $0.05 connection which can be repaired, Vs slim chance of killing $60 worth of strip. I know what i will be doing

kane

Dedicated elf
okay okay, I'll cut it open. Jees, you guys make me feel bad about being lazy. :)

I've got 30 x 1.5m lengths, which I plan to install into some of those polystyrene tubes that tinting come on (from the other thread). Plan is to run them across the front of my balcony in a "fuzzy" matrix sort of thing..

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
well you saw first hand what happens to my boards when i change cable around without turning the power off

Goose

New elf
hi guys..excuse my ignorance on this im just starting out....what are these used for exatcly? do you place the connectors between the control board and your lights? do you have to use them?

cheers,
dave

Robbo

Full time elf
Goose said:
hi guys..excuse my ignorance on this im just starting out....what are these used for exatcly? do you place the connectors between the control board and your lights? do you have to use them?

cheers,
dave

they are not essential, but for me I am using them because I don't want to be screwing light ends directly into the board every year, so am using the connectors (they come in pairs male/female) and putting the female permantly on the boards and the male on the lights then it's a quick connection each year come put up and take down

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I do the same as Robbo. I make the boards as watertight as possible in a sealed box (OK it has air vents to remove hot air, but lets call them severe rainproof), and the box has female ends for the lights (4 or 5 pin depending on the light sets in use, or 2 pin for some of the single color items). This allows the lights to go up, then the controllers installed and then connected all without undoing the box.

Also makes for less chance of errors which could kill a pixel strip or led set etc.