Attaching string lights to brick

kahlialeigh

New elf
Hello :) I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right section!

We've recently moved house so now we have a new house to design our Christmas lights display for and we've come across a bit of trouble.

We have a 60m string that we outline the house with. Our old house was wood and we were allowed to install small hooks so that we could attach the lights. Our new house is brick and we can't drill any holes etc

So just wondering what you guys do to attach string lights to your brick houses without damaging it. I've done a bit of searching and I've found 2 common solutions, use a hot glue gun and stick it to the house (apparently it pops right off when you take them down) but I do not want to chance ruining the lights. The other solution was this contraption here... however we would need quite a few so it would get a bit pricey.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

kahlialeigh

New elf
Beacy said:
IMO - Gaffer tape... it fixes everything

Really? It won't melt with the heat? We do have some pretty hot days coming up (39, 40) so I guess if it holds through that, it'll survive anything lol

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Last year I was lazy and also didn't want to put anything permanent on my roof (zincalume) so I used electrical tape to hold my bigw strings up on the roof. It went through 40C days, rain, the works and about 50% of the tape held on. Luckily for me my roof is flat enough the lights didn't slide down or even move. So don't use electrical tape, but maybe gaffer tape might work.

My limited experience with the tape indicated that it either comes off pretty quick in the first couple of days or it will hold on for the season.

Isn't there some type of plastic cable holders with a small nail that you can drive into the mortar between the bricks. You wouldn't even see the nail hole after you removed them.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've used these clips in a few places. They fit into the mortar gap and are secured with a screw and plastic anchor plug. I got them on eBay as a pack of 100.

Attachments

• cable_tie_mount1.jpg
    cable_tie_mount1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 30

Habbosrus

Back again
I rent a house too and have used hot glue (mainly between the bricks where mortar is) and stuck cheap cable tie mounts to the hot glue. You can get the cable tie mounts from bunnings, ebay, etc. I got mine here Mounts from ebay. It worked fine last year. This year the owner told he had no problems with me drilling into brick as long as it's tidy.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
http://www.brickgrip.com.au

Just used some of these the other day and are excellent. Will fit most bricks. Can be modified a little if your mortor gap is a little different to standard as they mention on their site..

DavidJ247

Full time elf
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share my solution as someone may find it useful.
I was also looking at the 'brick clip' product but found they were very pricey and not easy to source locally, so a bit of searching lead me to this product at Masters

https://www.masters.com.au/product/900037208/hillman-brick-hangers-steel-antique-brass-finish-2-piece

They work well for my purpose, very neat/small and at $4 for a pack of 2 the price is reasonable. Once you're done they just lift off the brick without leaving a mark.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 55

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
DavidJ247 said:
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share my solution as someone may find it useful.
I was also looking at the 'brick clip' product but found they were very pricey and not easy to source locally, so a bit of searching lead me to this product at Masters

https://www.masters.com.au/product/900037208/hillman-brick-hangers-steel-antique-brass-finish-2-piece

They work well for my purpose, very neat/small and at $4 for a pack of 2 the price is reasonable. Once you're done they just lift off the brick without leaving a mark.

I'm copying this :)

DavidJ247

Full time elf
djgra79 said:
I'm copying this :)

Hey Graham. These Masters clips work great for our kmart stars, I just used the bracket on the back of the star that held the battery box (it is not quite deep enough, so I just looped through a cable tie). All the fixings are hidden behind the star and the whole thing sits flush against the wall, really neat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 41