1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Best way to make waterproof power injection cables?

Discussion in 'Computers, Cabling & Other Miscellaneous Hardware' started by BundyRoy, Nov 26, 2017.

1. BundyRoy

BundyRoy Dedicated Elf

I normally use 3 pigtails. Solder the joins, then heatshrink each cable individually, then heatshrink over the lot. I'm concerned about the seals as the heatshrink doesn't slide over the two cables very well in the 3 cable join and then I use silastic to get seal on the two pigtails but always worry about that leaking over time. Any better ways. Thanks.

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    When I make Y cables I often put a zip tie on the double cables past the heatshrink to keep it from spreading and cracking the silicone seal.

bbayjohn likes this.
  3. bbayjohn

bbayjohn Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    sounds like you are doing it right. Maybe a smaller diamater heatshrink. I like to use clear, makes it eaasy to inspect joins. You could put a layer of almagamating tape followed by electrical tape if you are worried.

4. the grinch

the grinch I guess I could use a little social interaction

Once again me being different !
    All of my power injection is totally un waterproofed !
    My power injection is totally separate from the data etc .
    I use automotive connectors and as long as positive can't touch or short between negative ! I really don't see the point of waterproofing !
    Example of will be the engine bay of your cars ! which you can degrease and wash successfully . And obviously anything important is definitely waterproofed plugs
    Also great tip ! Your local auto recycling yard or wrecking yard is great place to source plugs inexpensively .
    But dont go cutting plugs off of useful parts they can sell ! May upset someone

5. videoman3857

videoman3857 Full Time Elf

I solder and heatshrink each wire and use resin filled heatshrink over the group of wires.