big w lights

roo

Full time elf
Hi all,

I have some big w lights which I want to run with a 2811dc15. I have a 24 volt power supply. On the transformer it saids output dc 12-24v, 12va-24va. Now first question can I run them with what I have? Also this set of lights has 4 wires coming out of the transformer. I have only played with ones with 3 wires before anyone tell me why it would have four wires?

Cheers
roo[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• 240.jpg
    240.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 135

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
A photo of the controller never goes astray.
The 4 wires possibly indicates that it is a 3 channel set of lights. Providing the controller is still attached you may be able to confirm that.
The info isn't really clear as it shows a voltage range rather than a fixed voltage. With that said it's generally 27-31V that people have ran Big W lights on in the past.
Does the transformer have a voltage listed on it. The controller is a generic one that will do a number of voltages and currents.

roo

Full time elf
here is a picture of the flashing box

Attachments

• 240.jpg
    240.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 36

roo

Full time elf
this is a picture of the plug

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 39

scamper

Dedicated elf
I am no expert on this, but the power supply looks to be an AC supply, so I am guessing that the controller either rectifies it and then controls the lights, or the lights just use the ac to flash alternate light strings.
if it were me, I would cut into the wires that are coming out and measure what you get on them. Assuming you can control the output via a push button, you often get a steady on or at least slow fade so you could check the voltage and polarity coming out.
If someone else has modified these, please feel free to shoot me down on this :-[