Bretts Help thread.

Baf05

Full time elf
Today I have taken the plunge and purchased a AVD DC48 48 Channel DC Controller, and emailed an order for a ECG-D4. I plan to use vixen software initially and then maybe upgrade to something else over winter.

My first display will be based on LED strings, but if I can master that, I may add some RGB to the list during the year.

I have two questions inatilly...

Do I need to buy two power supplies? like this, 350W Dual Output Switching Power Supply;88 ~ 264VAC input;12V/350W output, CE and ROHS approved

What functions can I get the lights to do, other than turn them on and off?

Lastly I apologize for the newbie questions, even more so if these answers can be found in the wiki, but I have read and read and read....

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
RGB can be done quite happily with a dc48. You can run 5050 or other varieties of dumb strips or similar to get whatever colour you want.
The requirement for multiple supplies is going to depend on what leds/lights you have hanging off the board. Big W led strings tend to need about 31V, a fair portion of dumb strips are 12V and you can also have 5V or 24V lights. You're going to have to work out what lights you are going to run and if they are all the same voltage then you'll have to work out if the load (wattage) is going to be too high for 1 power supply.

Baf05

Full time elf
Ok so today I took a big plunge.

I have purchased two power supplies, and 500 smart RGB lights, I have a plan to reinvent my Merry Christmas sign (not to self must put up video of said sign).

SO I have a question or two

I asked in my first post, what functions can I get my lights too do, just on and off? Or can I expect to get similar functions as the controller I am about to remove.

Also, if I am removing the controller, and want the new board to control the lights, do I need to fit the diode? My feeling is no? But I want to check...

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The DC48 can dim the lights as well as just turn them on and off.

The effects that you create will be determined by how you program the sequencer software (LOR, LSP, Vixen, etc).

Baf05

Full time elf
thanks David,

what about the Diode, do I need to put that in place if I am using the DC48 board?

Baf05

Full time elf
ok. Well I will sit back now, wait for the new bits too arrive and then get to work on this years display.

Baf05

Full time elf
Another maybe stupid quesiton...

Can I use the DC48 board to control intelligent RGB lights?

Or do I need a different pixel controler?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
No, a DC controller (like the DC48) only controls simple DC strings and modules. Items like Big W strings and "dumb" LED strip, etc.

Intelligent pixels (where you control each one individually) require a pixel controller such as one of the J1SYS products.

Baf05

Full time elf
Bugger!

this is a steap learning curve.

Oh well, I guess once I am finished I will have a great dispaly, and thats what I am after.

Thanks again David!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Baf05 said:
ok so to control the intelligent RGB lights I just bought, I need this?

http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-pixad8/

How many lights/strings, (as in RGB strings) can I expect to control?

This is really starting to cost me heaps!

Its not a cheap hobby, but then i always say i would spend a lot more every year if i played golf and i would also have to include the 19th hole and at the end of the year the only one who has got any pleasure form golf would be me, but having a lighting hobby and CLAP i at least get to share my addiction with my local community and bring smiles and joy to many.

Baf05

Full time elf
Oh I agree totally, and this will keep me busy over the winter too.....

Advice on the board?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I use a couple of PIXAD8 in my display and they work well. The ECG-P12R is more or less a 12 output version of the ECG-PIXAD8. The ECG-P2 is a 2 output version that can run more pixels per output but with no power distribution on-board.