Bunnings Arlec rope light cutting

Malinoz

New elf
Hi all,
Im trying to cut the Arlec rope light from Bunnings. Its a 2 wire system. There are NO marks or shunt/bridge sections. Every 1m there are 2 resistors. 2 leds to the power input side, there appears to be only 2 wires. Hard to see though. So im trying to figure out where I can cut this rope. Any help, much appreciated.

Mal

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If the rope is clear enough sometimes you can see where the section start and end as there will be a connection to one of the two longitudinal wires. With the older 240V rope lights each section used to be 1 metre.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
At some stage through the rope lights it's going to change from 3 or 4 back to 2. It's possible that it's going to be reasonably close to where the resistors are. A photo showing a few leds either side of the resistors might help identifying where it can be cut.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Just look for where there are connections to the parallel pair of wires that run right through the length of the rope.

Pesle

New elf
I have some of this i was looking at cutting as well... Havent yet, but it looks like there's 2 silver wires running through the whole thing... So find where the series connects to that. I attached a picture of what it looks like, and cut it in the middle of the 4 joins.
Hope this helps
IMG_20181126_171853__01__01~2.jpg

Malinoz

New elf
Pesle, yep that is normally the case. But these ropes don't have them.

Malinoz

New elf
Pesle,I have the 10m ropes from this year and last. Definitely no marks. Yes David, there will be, but its really hard to see. Its strange wiring . There also appears to be a thicker tensioning wire running independently. Dunno. So im going to bite the bullet.

Pesle

New elf
Cut the very end (last 2 lights or so), turn it on, and youll see where the series stops and cut it between the last working led and first dead one.
That should work.