Butane Soldering Iron Advice

jerimiah83b

New elf
Hey everyone,

Any recommendations on a Butane Soldering Iron for display build? Not looking to spend a fortune, that's means less money for the lights and props. Looking at possibly a Weller Junior or Dremel Versatip unit at the moment.

Cheers

LawrenceDriveLights

Full time elf
Why not a conventional plug in type soldering iron or you want something portable? I recently got a Milwaukee 12v cordless lith battery one (as I have the battery’s already) and it seems ok for a portable iron. Lots of options it seems for portable soldering irons. Ryobi also does a nice looking one if you have there battery’s as well

Mark_M

Full time elf
Generous elf
I would STRONGLY suggest NOT TO BUY ONE.
I got a Dremel VersaTip and I can tell you it burns everything nearby.
No matter what brand, all gas soldering irons need to have a vent near the tip for the flame exhaust to escape. When you're repairing something the last thing you want is to burn the thing next to it.

I learned the hard way, buy yourself a battery powered one.

jerimiah83b

New elf
I would STRONGLY suggest NOT TO BUY ONE.
I got a Dremel VersaTip and I can tell you it burns everything nearby.
No matter what brand, all gas soldering irons need to have a vent near the tip for the flame exhaust to escape. When you're repairing something the last thing you want is to burn the thing next to it.

I learned the hard way, buy yourself a battery powered one.
Thanks for the advice, will take this on board and look for a battery option.

SAALTFAM

New elf
Each has there good and bad.
My main advise is don’t buy cheap as you be disappointed in anything you buy ( gas, battery, electric or other)

bpratt

Full time elf
I'm tempted to get the Ryobi one from Bunnings, as I have a stack of other Ryobi 18v tools here.

Perhaps that might be an option for you if you're looking at getting any other battery based tools.