Calibrated grid on xlights Layout image

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
been wondering if it would be possible to have a calibrated grid overlay on the image on the Layout tab?
(LOR Visualiser has a grid you can turn on/off but I don't think it's calibrated to any specific dimension)

You could measure your house and surrounds and have a grid that is say .5m per square/box that matches the measurements; so when you are adding your models you could add them to exact scale.

I took a photo of my house last year with the few props on it and redid my Layout so that the models exactly (as close as possible) fit over their corresponding image; but I'm adding quite a few new props this year and am struggling to size them correctly in advance.

This one's mainly for Keith, Gil et al.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Calibrated to what. I would need to be convinced this would be useful to more than just yourself before I would add it. I have always found setting the size of my models really easy just using the background image of my house taken when last years lights were up.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
keithsw1111 said:
Calibrated to what. I would need to be convinced this would be useful to more than just yourself before I would add it. I have always found setting the size of my models really easy just using the background image of my house taken when last years lights were up.
I've always thought actual size and placement would be useful. I went so far as to figure out the algorithm to create the infrastructure to do some of that work. I even tried to figure out 3d layout using some libs and looked at creating sketchup style objects...
Then I reminded myself that the point is not the screen, it is the display and anything that gets me to see what my display is doing is good enough.

At this point in development, it is also a matter of priority. I personally like your focus on effects.

Still, 3d visualization would be cool! :)

Gilrock

Full time elf
I don't think its practical because a photo of your house/yard has a 3D perspective displayed in 2D so you would need to be able to mark heights and distance from the camera to know anything meaningful about any point on the image. You're eye should be one of the best tools to judge spacing and alignment.

3D visualization is a completely different topic. I've wanted it also and even dabbled in trying to work on it but we have an issue with it not fitting well with our current design. I would almost find it easier to start a new program from scratch but not sure I want to invest that much effort.