Candy Canes On Mesh

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Last year I attached 8x mini candy canes to a piece of plastic garden mesh and zip tied it to one of my window screens. It was a simple static piece with just a 6V DC power connection.

davidavd Candy Canes - Night Shot.jpg

This year, I'll be separating the cane wiring and adding a 8 channel on/off DMX controller (shown below). The input will be P-DMX as the board has a 5V switching regulator on-board. I had the boards in stock and as luck would have it, two of the PCB mounting holes lined up perfectly with the internal inserts in the box!

davidavd Candy Cane Controller.jpg

This seems like a better solution than making up an 9 core wiring loom for it to go back to a central DC controller. I bought some more cane sets as "not working" last year, so I'll also make a second element and loop the P-DMX from one to the other.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Here's what the completed P-DMX candy cane element looks like. The box I used didn't have enough room for the RJ45 socket PCB as well, so I hard wired the P-DMX input.

davidavd Candy canes on mesh with P-DMX controller.jpg

I used one of my P-DMX injector PCBs to add the 30V power feed to the DMX line that looped from my DC24 in the controller / PSU enclosure.

I had on/off control (no dimming) of each candy cane (one per DMX channel).

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Would make for a very nice effect on the screen door do you have any night time pics or even better video?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hey David this looks great! Are these programmed to run on their own or part of your full show's sequencing?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I upgraded the on/off controller to a dimming controller this morning.

davidavd P-DMX9_Open.jpg

Attachments

• davidavd P-DMX9_Closed.jpg
    davidavd P-DMX9_Closed.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0